Round Steaks

shoot them young, if i want a deer (fallow) here in wales i only shoot prickets 2nd year, anything with antlers i dont bother with as they are often tough like your elk but about 130lb in weight same with a big old buck rabbit no matter what you do its like leather

As always, I hate eating round steaks. They are suited for dog food. I tried everything to tender them up. Sitting in milk for a week. Sitting in olive oil for a week. Pounding them with a hammer.

I think next elk, I will just grind them into burger. Not much else you can do with them...

Anyone have any luck with round steaks ?
I treat them just like I do deer shoulders and tough old boar hogs—make them into BBQ. Cut them up, put them in a crock pot with chicken stock or cream of mushroom soup and spices as desired. Cook on low for 24 hours. Drain off liquid, shred the meat, removing any bones or grizzle. Then add BBQ sauce and cook for 12-24 hours on low adding sauce as needed. Your friends and neighbors will coming looking for it—melts in your mouth.

I like the round steaks cut about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 thick. I coat them with a good Montreal type seasoning and let them age, uncovered, on a rack in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Then I make a platform of peeled carrots in the bottom of my large slow cooker. Arrange the steaks on top of the carrots so they are not touching (Think about that when you cutting the steaks to size). Set the slow cooker to low. Check the meat in in 4-5 hours. The firmer the meat the more done it is. Adjust additional cooking time from there. Caution: slow cookers often very greatly in actual cooking temperatures, so you might want to spend some quantifying the settings temps of your device. I had one unit with a "Warm" setting that produced a nice gentle boil perfect for dip cooking seafood Asian Hot Pot style. The other settings were way to hot to be used for cooking anything else.

OP and others,
Thank you for this thread! Some great information here. Funny when rummaging around in my chest freezer I also find myself reaching past the round steaks. I don't always have the luxury to hang my meat long enough as ideal, seems by the time I get my animal (out of state) I only have a few more days left to get it butchered and get back home. Might get 2-3 days hang time if lucky.

Last edited:
Another great option for round steak or any other less desirable cut of meat is to can it. I took this up a couple years ago with an old family recipe of meat, salt, pepper and garlic. Pressure canned meats will last and turn most tough cuts into a pot roast like tender jar of yum. I also tried some canned quart jars with meat, carrots, potatoes, celery, salt, pepper, garlic and a cube of beef bouillon to make a stew in a jar and it turned out to be the yum. Jars of meat can go with you on hunting or fishing trips to make quick easy meals or snacks and have become a standard in my house. Also, I have canned 2 year old meat in my freezer to free up space for new meat and that has turned out to be wonderful as well. hope this helps, Jason

Swiss steak. Just remember venison has little to no intermuscular fat, or marbling. You cannot prepare it as you would domesticated quadrapeds. If you do it will be dry and tough. Either go long, low and slow or high, hot and fast, cut dependent. There are plenty of excellent references out there (game cookbooks) and some HORRIBLE ones too. Show these magnificent animals we kill the respect they're due. Do some reading and stop doing what you've been doing. It obviously doesn't work.

Attachments

• 20190420_164424.jpg
    20190420_164424.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
We go thru more hamburger than anything else so now I just grind the whole deer into burger . Grinding is easily done at home and is the easiest part of processing an animal. The burger really improves when adding roasts and round steaks to the junk meat that hamburger usually is .

I tend to cut them into stew meat and if later I find I have too much of that in the freezer I grind it into burger, sausage or jerky.

I spend a lot of money on ek processing as a non resident. It takes a lot of doctoring them up to make them good. I believe the next elk I will have the processor grind them as we eat elk burger a lot. Best wishes

Take a pineapple. Remove the leaves. cut in to chunks to fit in blender (skin and all). Blend until smooth. marinate round steaks for 30-45 minutes MAX! Rinse, season and grill.