Round Steaks

Once in a while we also run into some tuff round steaks , the first thing we do is when someone asks for some elk steak, yep ,those go first. Funny how people think that your elk just magically appears in the freezer.
We also do most of the above plus the latest Asian style marinade, don't recall the brand .
Also when marinading round steaks with any type we try to soak them for 2 days .

As far as the after kill aging process , lots of us don't have the temps or time to wait if you are hunting 1000 miles from home.
Thanks

Have you tried a slow cooker? Season them and put them in slow cooker and pour a can of undiluted cream of mushroom soup on top. Cook on low for about 4 hours depending on how thick they are cut. It comes out fork tender and covers a pile of mashed potatoes nicely :)
This is my go to for round steaks!

Can it, very easy and once you do it, you will continue to do it. I can venison, beef and beef heart. Nothing better! Dump jar of meat into a 10" skillet add 1/4" of water cover with lid and heat on low/med heat until hot and enjoy.

When the butchering takes place during the animal's increasing weight, and not when it's being run to death, it will be nice and tender. If the animal is being starved down at the beginning of winter it will be tougher than a boiled owl.

Try cutting it about 2" thick and marinade in italian dressing for about 24 to 48 hours. Grill it like a london broil leaving it rare in the center but almost blacked on the outside. Remove it and let it sit for 10 min and then slice or (shave) it against the grain at a 30 degree angle. Shave it as this as you can. If this dont work feed it to your dogs.

We always use the rounds for roast, and I was never really a fan of venison roast until my wife came across a new recipe a couple years ago and now it's easily in my top 3 favorite meals. It sounds like it will be dry and flavorless, but trust me when I tell you it is anything but. Here's the recipe:

4 tablespoons olive oil
2-4 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons pepper
4 teaspoons medium coarse salt (use less if it is fine salt)
2 teaspoons thyme
2 teaspoons sage
1 teaspoon parsley
1 Venison Round Roast

Set oven to broil.
Mix all oil and spices together in a bowl.
Cut 1/2 inch deep slits every 1-2 inches apart in the top of the thawed or partially frozen roast.
Cover the entire roast with the mixture using your hands, make sure to get it into the slits as well.
Place in hot oven about 8-12 inches from heating element for 15-20 min (until the outside of the roast looks seared and crusty). Reduce heat to 200 degrees for 2-4 hours or until desired doneness (it is best when the center is still slightly pink).

This year we did an ENTIRE whitetail hind quarter with this recipe (except it cooked for 7 hours) and it was all everyone could talk about at Christmas dinner.

OK this is a cube steak machine from LEM, you can make a floor mat seem tender with this tenderizer. Once you run a round steak through it, you can add whatever marinade and it will work 1,000% better or just cook normally. These machines work on anything!

OK this is a cube steak machine from LEM, you can make a floor mat seem tender with this tenderizer. Once you run a round steak through it, you can add whatever marinade and it will work 1,000% better or just cook normally. These machines work on anything!
I got the jerky slicer and always wondered about the tenderizer

Lots of good ideas guys. I'm going to give you one I'll bet none of you have heard of. I learned this from a Sushi chef that actually won Iron Chef. Works with any tough, strong meat and fish. Take each individual steak and wrap it in paper towels. Then wrap it again in saran wrap. Make sure it is completely sealed and refrigerate at least 24hrs. All the bad stuff will go into the paper towels by capillary action. This will tenderize the meat and make its flavor milder. works with any meat or fish. Then do with it what you want, but my favorite with this type of cut is hibachi style. Brown both sides with high heat, cut into bite size pieces, stir in garlic butter and soy, salt and pepper and serve. Very rare. You would not believe how good this is with tough, strong meat like snow goose or antelope.

Another great option for round steak or any other less desirable cut of meat is to can it. I took this up a couple years ago with an old family recipe of meat, salt, pepper and garlic. Pressure canned meats will last and turn most tough cuts into a pot roast like tender jar of yum. I also tried some canned quart jars with meat, carrots, potatoes, celery, salt, pepper, garlic and a cube of beef bouillon to make a stew in a jar and it turned out to be the yum. Jars of meat can go with you on hunting or fishing trips to make quick easy meals or snacks and have become a standard in my house. Also, I have canned 2 year old meat in my freezer to free up space for new meat and that has turned out to be wonderful as well. hope this helps, Jason
That's a great idea! I've been wanting to get into canning. But I want to can smoked trout since freezing it can make it rubbery.

Lots of good ideas guys. I'm going to give you one I'll bet none of you have heard of. I learned this from a Sushi chef that actually won Iron Chef. Works with any tough, strong meat and fish. Take each individual steak and wrap it in paper towels. Then wrap it again in saran wrap. Make sure it is completely sealed and refrigerate at least 24hrs. All the bad stuff will go into the paper towels by capillary action. This will tenderize the meat and make its flavor milder. works with any meat or fish. Then do with it what you want, but my favorite with this type of cut is hibachi style. Brown both sides with high heat, cut into bite size pieces, stir in garlic butter and soy, salt and pepper and serve. Very rare. You would not believe how good this is with tough, strong meat like snow goose or antelope.
Antelope is very good if they haven't ran past 100' and ya get the hide off em with in the hr of death. Then get all the hair off with a torch

Last edited:
That's a great idea! I've been wanting to get into canning. But I want to can smoked trout since freezing it can make it rubbery.
You would want to cold pack it like pickles since it is already cooked. To truly can fish it should be raw because the canning process cooks it, bones too if they are there.

Soak overnight in milk / egg, flour it and fry. Best is electric skillet with lid, 1/4" or maybe a little less oil. Cook @350. Salt is only season, applied when you take it out of the oil. That's the way we did everything we killed but backstrap and hamburger before we decided we needed to eat more healthy. I miss those days.

Recent Posts