Rotational velocity vs wound severity

This is a very intriguing topic, and one which I also very firmly believe in. I used an AR15 .223 1-9 twist for wild hogs for a couple years, then I switched to a 22PDK 1-8 twist AR15 with a gain of 300 fps mv with the same bullets. I know the impact velocity is higher, but marginal at any extended distance. The instantainious death rate is much higher with the PDK, much like when I used a .220Swift with a 1-14 twist. This is an example of a light varmint bullet on large tough animals. The instant death is not from deeper penetration or greater tissue destruction judging by disecting the animals, thus leading one to feel it is increased shock. But the increase of 100 fps impact velocity doesn't seem enough to boost shock to phenominal killing levels leaving me to think it is rotational velocity that is coming into play.

I remember when I was in high school and we would get watermelons from the local fiels and go "melon rollin". We would lay down on the tailgate of the pick-up while someone would drive and gently lay the melon on the hi-way. They would slide at first, then begin to roll. After a while when the rps got high enough the melon would EXPLODE and sometimes throw watermelon as high as the powerlines. The optimal speed was 60 mph, any less and the "spectular-ness" was less, any more and abrasion in the "slide" phase wouldn't allow rpms to get very high before rupture.

Now that is about as scientific as it gets. Elkoholic, I think I may have inadvertly ended your study. LOL

PS: feel free to roll melons on your own, but do so at your own risk!

That's a good one Shaggy:D I've never tried that!......rich

Great thread!

The overall weight of the posted semi-emperical evidence says that I will no longer conduct terminal performance tests with reduced velocity loads.

I'ts good that I've come far enough to be able to hit the media container at ELR distances. Now to get out there and do it.:)

However, use of animals is better than any media. Hmmmmm, there's a ton of Lamas up the road a ways.lightbulb

Great thread!

The overall weight of the posted semi-emperical evidence says that I will no longer conduct terminal performance tests with reduced velocity loads.

I'ts good that I've come far enough to be able to hit the media container at ELR distances. Now to get out there and do it.:)

However, use of animals is better than any media. Hmmmmm, there's a ton of Lamas up the road a ways.lightbulb

Roy, what the heck did you just say?:D:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts