147 and 150 vs velocity.

nbowlin

Has anyone ran either the 6.5 147eldm or 150smk bullets into higher velocities successfully? 3200+ ish... Seems like some bullets don't like want to go fast. So as a precaution going into a new rifle project. I thought I would ask.

I have shot the 6.5 150 SMK @ 3160fps a lot from my 26" 1:8" 6.5SS. Only one coyote sp far, but dang.

I like then so far. Hope to tag a NM antelope with them end of August.

Had a 6.5-300 Norma info passed along shooting 150smk's@ 3550 and they are staying together.

Not much need for holding for wind for what ever usefulness it did provide. Wouldn't make a good prs gun but perhaps a little hunting.

These cartridges and loads are like cars/trucks. All the same Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and fuel economy(velocity)wars.
You have the beater with a heater set of folks.(random pawn shop stuff)
Some people are all about the practical 45-50mpg tdi.(6.5CM)
The almost but not quite practical high horsepower v-6 stuff.
(Standard magnums)
Factory muscle car people.(Ultras)
Others are constant tinkerers.....this intake, that tuning, maybe those injectors....(SS)
Some don't care if it's 3 gallons a mile it's bad as bad gets and don't care what amount of up keep is involved.
That 6.5/300norma type

Any who I just wanted to find out if they were happy going moderately fast while maintaining their "togetherness" and is seems as if they will.

Last edited:
For what it's worth.....
The 150 and the 147 didn't agree with anything much over 3300. Made it to the mid 3400's and nothing doing up there either. Had to come back to 3280-3320 to get any accuracy.
I ended up with 147's 3310 at .4" with h1000 at 65gr and cci's.
Pretty happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.