Rookie looking for a good unit to DIY hunt

I would add that in my experience on public land it's not just a matter of getting away from the road, but getting away from anywhere that it's easy for people to get to. If there's a nice hiking trail along the bottom of the valley (like there is in most valleys in CO) then the elk will be way up high by the time there's enough light to see. If there's a trail on the top and not the bottom then the elk will be in the bottom. If there's a nasty boulder field that most people wouldn't want to cross then the elk will be on the other side. The trick is to be in those places early and late which usually means lots of tough hiking in the dark...

Thanks for the tip. I've heard that elk will let you walk right by them in the early morning dark if you are husseling to get into position before sun rise. Is that true or should I try to be cautious to not spook animals while hiking before dawn? Also is one color of head lamp better than any other for hiking to position before day light? Ive noticed several headlamps that have white blue and red lights... Is it true that red light will not spook animals like regular yellow or white lights will?

You want to be as sneaky as you can all the time while in elk country while still getting where you're going. There's not much you can do about bumping elk in the dark so I don't worry a ton about it.

Red lights are meant to not spook game.

Two things I will address to maybe help you. Watch the wind even when hiking in. I was ML hunting elk and walked in to a spot in the dark. I heard chirping and mewing so got next to a big juniper and waited for the sun to come up as I did not want to bump the elk. The wind hit the back of me neck after about 15 minutes of waiting. The alarm barks went out followed by running hooves. I probably could have got around the herd in the dark since they could not smell me but once they did they were gone.

As far as camping without spooking elk it depends on how pressured they are. Last year bow hunting I was camping off a forest road and walking anywhere from 1/2 mile to 1 1/2 miles to hunting spots. The last night after dark while I was snug in bed I tracked a bugling bull moving from south to north by listening to him. He came within 300 yards of camp as he went by. On a ML hunt with my daughter we were back at camp around the campfire and I was teaching her to bugle and cow call. We called a bull in upwind of us where you could see him at the edge of the firelight. I think the biggest factor in both instances were the elk did not smell us.

Human smell is probably the biggest key to alarming elk.

Thanks,
You guys have been very helpful. Keep the tidbits of info coming! I'm wanting to learn all that I can and I find experience to be the best teacher.

I can see how it would be very easy to overlook wind direction at night while trying to pick ones way stealthily through a mountainside in the dark. I've seen the importance of wind direction play out many times in white tail hunting but Ive not really had to worry about thermals with the rolling hills I hunt. That will be a new challenge I suppose.

Would setting up spike camp close to a hiking trail be beneficial in regards to staying out of the elk's bedroom so to speak? This is my thought in response to Andy's coment about elk staying away from human activity as much as possible.

Depends on the terrain. Last year where I was camping the elk were bedding on a nasty north slope anywhere from 1/4-1/2 mile of where I was camped. I never hunted their bedding area as they would come to the mesa top to feed in the tall grass. I never blew them out and was there for 8 days. So I think if close to a trail the elk might be use to hikers and a little human activity, especially if you find a spot where others have stayed before. I camped close to a road where others have camped so I think the elk were use to humans being there on occasion and I was on the first hunt. Once you blow them out it is time to find a new herd.

If you get the lay of the land in daylight it is easier to navigate in the dark. On my ML hunt where I blew out the elk in the dark due to the wind it was a canyon running N.-S. The southern end had a saddle the elk were using to get to bedding areas from the feeding area. The wind was out of the east when the predominant wind comes from the west. I went up the west side for the wind when I had planned on going up the east side. I was 1/4 mile from the saddle and should have gone to where I planned to sit when I heard the herd. I would have been past the herd and the wind would not have been a problem when they went to bed. They would have been coming from the north with an E. or W. wind. So one more learning experience.

We hunt unit 67 Colorado. I can agree with alot of what's been posted. Road access in 67 is everywhere. Still, the elk in first rifle don't see to mind it. Our party has killed 5 bulls in there in 2 seasons. Rag horns yes,but bulls none the less. The last one was well past his prime. Huge old sucker. Half again bigger than the other 2 we killed that trip. So, bulls young and old alike will hold near campsites. At least early in the seasons. You can't just walk up and club them on the head mind you. They can however be killed within sight of forestry roads.

Keeping a low impact approach is key. Someone mentioned "Sneaky". I agree wholeheartedly. It's very hard to do,but you have to be aware of the wind. In our unit,they may not blow out into the next county,but they won't shake hands with you. Especially if your sent gets there before you do.

Case in point. We worked a herd bull one AM. He had a small harem of 6 or 7 cows. One satellite bull in tow. We had him responding to calling with grunts and chuckles. He screamed at us a couple times just to get the hair on your neck all fired up. We put a bunch of pressure on him to no avail. We decided to back out and come back in the evening for another try. We split up into 2 groups. My self and my b-in-law went down to the edge of a park we started him in that morning. The other 3 from camp went around the back side of the ridge he was working toward when we parted ways earlier in the day. Here is where we made our mistake.

My brother in law and I had a destination in mind. We were going to stake out along the lower edge of the park,and watch up the ridge while doing a little cow calling. Simple enough. Except we weren't "Hunting" our way in. We just walked up to the clearing with no regard for the wind at our backs. Well,you can guess what happened. We hit the clearing and the old boy,harem and all,went busting up across the park. I managed to get on him and might have taken the shot except for the cow directly behind him. At less the 70 yards I didn't want to send a 180gr Partition his way out of old Cruncher the 300 Ultra and risk hitting the cow behind him. We never got on that bull again that trip. He was by far the nicest bull we've seen in that country yet.

Had we been paying attention to details instead of making time,we might have killed that bull. You can't cheat that nose. Hunt smart. Low impact and sneaky.

Pretty much have to suffer to get a good Elk for sure ! We hunt in 43 the first rifle season Lots of land to hunt but you need to go the distance to get away from people. We have had Good times with a few good Bulls. If we get drawn this Year we plan on Hiking in to a area that we looked at last year its about 5 miles one way to get so Ya can Glass. What ever you do good Luck and stay safe !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.