RM big horn strategy

Its a shame how it goes I was hoping draw and cost go so high. I had few guys I know do slam with bow,one almost has super slam. For me its overrated and to pricey. Hunting local I have to watch I dont run them over,last season barely missed them w/camper and jeep in tow.Cant get tag but they have ran over more than 200 since 2002
Ugh, that'd be hard to stomach.

Just save your money, and BUY the Hunt(s). I'm doing Apps also, but just went on a Desert Bighorn Hunt this past February...only cost me a Corvette 👍🏻. Now I only have 3 more Sheep Hunts (minimum) to go. No need/worry to be anxious about drawing a tag 😁

If it has not changed you can buy the over the counter tag every other year and not lose your bonus points. If you are successful you have to wait 7 years to apply or purchase over the counter in Montana if this helps you any

24 years ago I moved to NV... after 13 years I drew a Desert tag and was sucessful. I have 24 points for the California and Rocky Mt. tags. I hope to draw a tag before I am to old to gt up the mountain! It motivates me to stay in shape, keep a positive attitude (most of the time) and stay envolved in Sheep activities. I go glassing for sheep whenever I can and I still get a chill when I see a big bruser ram in the wild. Wild Sheep Foundation, Nevada Bighorns Unlimited and the Fraternity of the Desert Big Horn are good orignizations to partner with.

Took me 17 years to draw a Bighorn in WY and even then I got a lottery tag. WY currently is 20 years to draw w/points unless you get a lottery tag. Apply everywhere and hope you're not 75 when you draw !

The little bit I know about this comes from a friend who spotted for the founder of Kuiu on his sheep hunt. Beside the huge amount he spent on the tag, he had several spotters on the ground and in a helicopter but he came out successful with his record sheep.

Evidently he had to do it because he was a thrill seeker and that was all that was left for him. It probably cost $500,000 or so.

He took his life fairly soon after. Evidently he was suffering with CTE and with no bigger thrills available, he checked out. That's my theory any way, if my friend on the hunt had his own theory, he kept it to himself. He had nothing but good things to say about him so it's very sad to know that CTE can have that much impact on a person who outwardly seems to have everything and everything to live for.

Also, if a sheep hunt can make a guy hurting that bad hang on for that long, it must be one hell of an experience.

The little bit I know about this comes from a friend who spotted for the founder of Kuiu on his sheep hunt. Beside the huge amount he spent on the tag, he had several spotters on the ground and in a helicopter but he came out successful with his record sheep.

Evidently he had to do it because he was a thrill seeker and that was all that was left for him. It probably cost $500,000 or so.

He took his life fairly soon after. Evidently he was suffering with CTE and with no bigger thrills available, he checked out. That's my theory any way, if my friend on the hunt had his own theory, he kept it to himself. He had nothing but good things to say about him so it's very sad to know that CTE can have that much impact on a person who outwardly seems to have everything and everything to live for.

Also, if a sheep hunt can make a guy hurting that bad hang on for that long, it must be one hell of an experience.
I was never a fan of Jason Hairston; but whenever discussing Sheep (Podcasts Interviews, Etc), he seemed so enthusiastic and passionate. Either he LOVED Sheep 'til the day he made that fatal decision, or he did a HECK of a job putting on face. Either way, "Goliath" certainly lived up to his name!

I met and spoke with Jason Harrison numerious times at the hunting shows. I beleive he truly loved sheep hunting. I always teased him on why his clothes were cut for Olympic athletes and not regular guys like me! My meetings with him also shows how you really don't know a person when you meet them when they are at a public event. It saddens me when I think about Jason...

Eat as health as possible, exercise, do regular Dr check up and make sure you live until your 100 the points systems are going to require a loooooong life to get tags. Out live the other guy. LMAO
in seriousness Apply everywhere you can even in places/States that you don't expect will be fruitful as over time opportunity will change and its nice to have the cash(points) when the deal arises.

by unlimited i belive that means who ever applys can get a tag.how many sheep are in those areas in general would you say

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.