RL26 temp vs velocity results

105Coues

I have been trying this in a 243 with 108 bullet. I shot it at 45,55,and 65 degrees. There was an increase in fps of 60 in this 20 degree change. I was surprised at such a difference and I could see people having issues if they are running on the edge in cooler temps then going to hotter ones. I will continue to test this as it gets hotter, just wondering if others see that kind of difference??

Yeah I get that. I had just never seen anyone post results that showed that much difference. I don't think I have used a powder that had that much difference before so I was curious as to others findings. Could easily change your velocity over 200 fps in states that have big temp swings

How many rounds down the tube?
Sometimes the barrel will speed up in the 100-200 round range vs new.
60fps is more than i've seen with RL26 out of my 7mm Rem Mag for that temperature difference.
But then i've got 1,500+ rounds down that tube.

Make sure it's actually temperature causing the increase or if it's a fouled barrel. I tried RL26 in my .243 with 108s and it powder fouled horribly in less than 100 rounds. I thought my barrel was speeding up but it was actually the fouling. I cleaned the barrel thoroughly with Iosso and the velocity literally dropped over 100fps. RL26 works great in magnums but I think it's too dirty for 6mm's and things like that.

In one podcast, Hornady talked about rl26 fouling a barrel crazy fast and raising velocity for constant loads by like 200 fps in ~100 shots on a 6.5 prc.

3 fps per degree seems like way way too much change to be powder temperature changes.

Probably 150 or so without counting down the tube. Powder does seems really dirty compared to others. Will clean it good before shooting again.

Did this test a couple years back...

Summary...RL26 performed better than expected, and IMR8133 actually showed inverse T vs V.

I have been trying this in a 243 with 108 bullet. I shot it at 45,55,and 65 degrees. There was an increase in fps of 60 in this 20 degree change. I was surprised at such a difference and I could see people having issues if they are running on the edge in cooler temps then going to hotter ones. I will continue to test this as it gets hotter, just wondering if others see that kind of difference??

Testing taken the same day(same light conditions) I would hope....? If not then it doesn't mean much to me. As well with the exact same pieces of brass and same can of powder?

I did some testing with R26 (along with many others) if I can find the info I'll put it up. My tests are generally during the summer heat for one, then come winter when we see some 20-30 below stuff again I give it a go. (same lot of powder, same cases and the gun and ammo in the truck over night)

From my testing, I found this subject to generally be about not much of anything to me. Pretty much all of them will loose in the 60 fps range when the temps swing as much as they here in Montana.

Here's my own experience with RL 26. It is temperature sensitive, especially over 90 degrees, where the velocity increase is no longer linear, but goes exponential and unpredictable. I think its not only a matter of the outside temperature, but how hot your chamber and barrel get if you are at the range. Probably less noticeable if you shoot 1 round only in a cold barrel.

Thank you all for your responses. I will keep testing as it shoots consistent groups and see what it does.

I have used RL26 in a 6.5 SAUM with no issues from the early Oct coues hunts to late season elk. There is quite a bit of temp swing between those season and I am sure there is a velocity change but it hasnt been noticeable enough to cause a miss. I do use load data from 82 degrees for my shooting solution.