Rl26 28 nosler 180 eldm

Ryanb1994

Im new to this form and would like some help i have a begara 28 nosler and i ha e 180 eld match bullets ive been trying to find the powder that the manuals call for but you know how finding powder is right now but i have 10 lbs of rl26 and i cant find any info if i can use that combo ive called alliant and hornady and they said they couldnt help me so im wondering if anybody on here can?

Start at 70 grains and work your way up to pressure.

Thank you and they shot fine out of my 7mm rem mag which has a 9.25twist so they should be alright out of the begara which has a 9.5 twist rate

Last edited:
This information is from the Berger Stability Calculator. Please read the explanation since a slight instability is based on a lower BC not a keyhole on the target:

1649000370756.png

Ok so what im getting from that is it might be ok i just gotta work with what i got cause finding reloading components is still a pain around here i also forgot my elevation is 2000 -2500 feet where i will be using this load

Thank you and yea everyone is telling me h1000 or retumbo but all i have is 26 ill have to keep an eye out for rl33 im hoping to get a load with 180 grain bullet to work cause thats what i bought it for to throw heavy lead fast

By changing your altitude to 2,000 feet this is the change calculated:

1649077333814.png

This is not an indication that the bullet will be 'unstable' as in landing on the paper in a slight keyhole shape.

These calculations demonstrate what happens to the BC of the chosen bullet when a lessor or greater twist is used. By changing your elevation to 2,000 feet, your required twist difference is 1/2" from the factory 1:9.5" or 1:9" twist. The amount of BC you lose is reduced but should be taken into account for your drop/drift chart.

Generally speaking, Re-26 (one of my favorite powders) will simply not fill the case as much for greater consistency before hitting the top pressure. It doesn't make it a bad choice but slightly slower powders will perform better.

VVN-568
Norma 217
H-1000
Retumbo (you won't make top velocities)
Re-33

All will fill the case better while supplying the upper end of the velocity range.

I understand the powder supply issue. Just chant the reloader's mantra while working with any new loads:

'Start low and work up slowly watching for any signs of pressure.'

Above all, have fun and ENJOY!

:)

RL26 and ELD bullets have been pretty easy to get sub minute loads developed in my son's 28, I say go for it.