28 nosler 180gr ELDm findings

Well i went out today and it started off looking promising. While doing a seating depth ladder test, all groups were slightly under one inch. Picked the best group and for seating depth and then did a ladder test with charge weights. Had a sub 1/2 group with 79.8 gr retumbo. When I loaded five more and shot over the chronograph I had a 40 fps ES and 13 sd. the group opened up as well. The average speed was right at 3100fps. I'm out of eldm's for the moment, going to try the 165 Gamechangers this afternoon. I also have some 168 barnes lrx bullets but I don't have a starting point for the barnes. Can't find data and I know with solid copper bullets you can hit pressure really quick by guessing
After thinking on it for the night. I believe my groups opened up because I was using a magneto speed. There's no way that same load went from almost 1 hole, to over an inch. I believe the velocity readings could also be because it was windy, which I've noticed affects my magneto speed more than regular chrono graphs. My buddy has a lab radar so I will borrow that next weekend and re test that load.

I did start load development with the 165 and it's looking promising. Hitting light pressure at 3200 fps with retumbo. I might try h1000.

One consistant thing that I've seen with the 28 nosler and 3 different barrels.... copper fouling... it doesn't seam to effect accuracy but the bore looks like a copper pipe after a few shots

Think I'l try some Hornady first, been able to get 6x-7x high velocity firings before the primer pockets give it up!
New box of 25 No$ler and 13 of them were done in the first firing, primer pockets expanded (knew something was amiss at the depriming press) now they're scrap annealing test brass.
At the least, the load max, for Nosler brass in my rifle, was found.

There is no "bad" data FWIW.

Think I'l try some Hornady first, been able to get 6x-7x high velocity firings before the primer pockets give it up!
New box of 25 No$ler and 13 of them were done in the first firing, primer pockets expanded (knew something was amiss at the depriming press) now they're scrap annealing test brass.
At the least, the load max, for Nosler brass in my rifle, was found.

There is no "bad" data FWIW.
I was actually surprised to find I am getting about 6 firings out of my brass as well. My problem after 6 fireings wasn't the primer pockets though, it was a doughnut in the neck.

hoping to keep this thread alive because the 180 eldm's do seem to be an awesome bullet and the 28 nosler, an awesome cartridge. The one thing I've found sense my last post on here, unless your adding a lot of extra freebore, don't expect too hit extremely high velocities (3150 -3200 fps) with the heavy 7mm bullets, without losing some accuracy and being hard on brass. I've figured out that if I just accept the cartridge for what it is, a bench rest accurate magnum, and settle with the accuracy node instead of trying to push the limits, I'll be happier, and get better barrel life. The accuracy node in my rifle with the ELDM is between 3080 -3100 fps

See, I haven't had a donut issue ever? I'm good with all velocities & accuracy the 28 Nosler produces, just that I found a the next accuracy and speed node, but the Nosler brass is a "one hitter quitter" at that node!

Let me know if the hornady brass is any tougher. I think that might help me get to the next accuracy node.... but after bore scoping my throat, I'm wondering how many rounds I will get running it hot. Only 250 ish rounds down the barrel and I'm seeing erosion in the first 3 inches ahead of the chamber

Just had a 30" Brux spun up in 7rm. Currently at 92 rounds. Running the 180s at 3175. Touched pressure signs at 3190. Barrel is still speeding up. Hoping to see 3200 without pressure signs.

Just had a 30" Brux spun up in 7rm. Currently at 92 rounds. Running the 180s at 3175. Touched pressure signs at 3190. Barrel is still speeding up. Hoping to see 3200 without pressure signs.
What powder? That's pretty impressive

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.