RL23

Found RL23 to be the best solution in my CA Ridgeline 6.5x284. Only powder that didn't show pressure signs and hit the node (~2950) i was looking for. Run Lapua brass w/Fed 210M primers but going to give it a run w/S&B's as well as CCI BR-2's to see if that reduces the SD & ES.

RL23 is "temp stable" in comparison to RL26. Not sure why anyone might think it is inferior to RL26 but would like to know specifics of your thoughts and experience.

RL16 is "temp stable" and slower than H4350, and RL23 is slower burn rate than both.

View attachment 212626

I'm not sure where you get the idea that R-26 is not temp stable. Inferior R-23 according to the Alliant reloading is often as much as 100 fps slower in any given caliber. In 243 as much as 170 fps down. I don't really have a reason to drop down to the faster burn rate R-23

I was using R-25 for years when R-26 came out. Reloading manuals are also just a ruff guide and not the truth. They are often biased to the powders that paid the most. So it is not wise to quote reloading manuals. Chrono's don't lie. I work up everything with chrono data and often download for barrel life, accuracy, and consistency. I also a longer barrel person to get extra FPS and take it easier on the cases.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that R-26 is not temp stable. Inferior R-23 according to the Alliant reloading is often as much as 100 fps slower in any given caliber. In 243 as much as 170 fps down. I don't really have a reason to drop down to the faster burn rate R-23

I was using R-25 for years when R-26 came out. Reloading manuals are also just a ruff guide and not the truth. They are often biased to the powders that paid the most. So it is not wise to quote reloading manuals. Chrono's don't lie. I work up everything with chrono data and often download for barrel life, accuracy, and consistency. I also a longer barrel person to get extra FPS and take it easier on the cases.

I am pleased with RL23 so far in my new 280ai. Was set on RL26 in my last 280ai. Am about 70fps slower with the 175 Elite Hunter and RL 23 than the 168 VLD and RL 26 In the old rifle. I could push the RL 23 load a little further.

I've read experiences of others related to this issue and I've read Alliant's marketing language. I have zero experience with 26. Alliant's website states 26 exhibits "controlled response to temperature changes" then use a bullet point re; stability but 26 is not published to contain TZ. 23 incorporates TZ technology which is their pressure stabilizing agent that counteracts ambient temperature induced pressure divergence.

IMO, controlled response with no TZ is different than pressure stabilizing with TZ.

Found RL23 to be the best solution in my CA Ridgeline 6.5x284. Only powder that didn't show pressure signs and hit the node (~2950) i was looking for. Run Lapua brass w/Fed 210M primers but going to give it a run w/S&B's as well as CCI BR-2's to see if that reduces the SD & ES.

What Bullet?

Anyone try RL 23 with the Berger 156? I am thinking it may be too fast.
What about N570? We shall see.

I've read experiences of others related to this issue and I've read Alliant's marketing language. I have zero experience with 26. Alliant's website states 26 exhibits "controlled response to temperature changes" then use a bullet point re; stability but 26 is not published to contain TZ. 23 incorporates TZ technology which is their pressure stabilizing agent that counteracts ambient temperature induced pressure divergence.

IMO, controlled response with no TZ is different than pressure stabilizing with TZ.
Based on what I have read on this and other sites, 23 and 16 are the most temp stable of the Alliant powders. Someone produced a chart that showed this. I am not calling this stuff magic but it seems to leave much less fouling in the barrel than 26. I rediscovered 23 right after I had decided that all my hunting powders would begin with an H.

I am pleased with RL23 so far in my new 280ai. Was set on RL26 in my last 280ai. Am about 70fps slower with the 175 Elite Hunter and RL 23 than the 168 VLD and RL 26 In the old rifle. I could push the RL 23 load a little further.

Yes, there are certain case volumes and calibers where you are limited to how slow the powder can be. Example is my 308's and 458 win mag

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.