280ai and rl23

30noslercam

Hay guys, just finishing up a 280ai build on a sako 75 action. It has a precision platforms carbon stock and a proof research 24" carbon barrel. I've got 4 pounds of rl23 and some 162 eldms to develop a load but info on the powder is light on the ground here in New Zealand. Does anyone know how many grains would be a min and max? I will obviously start low and work up. I'm hoping to net 2900fps.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Hot barrels.

I am using Peterson brass and 180 hybrids and am able to hit the 2910 node right around 59.5 grains. Hornady brass required about a grain more and nosler brass shows pressure signs around 59-59.5 without reaching the higher node. I know it's a different bullet but hope this helps. I think 3000 should be easy with a 162.

I'm getting over 3000 fps in a 24" Proof CF barreled Savage Ultralite, with the 162 ELDX, RL23, Hornady brass and Fed GM215M's, 60.5 grains is where I ended up, I think I started around 57 and worked up to it,=, very low ES and under .5 MOA out to 800 so far
Recently found some Peterson brass and will be loading some up and transitioning to it, the Hornady primer pockets have not held up well for me after 3 reloads

Your minimum should be around 55gr., max 60-61gr. You should find a sweet spot between 59-60 depending on your chamber specs. Should easily get 2900-2950 with accuracy. We a have got 3000 with accuracy out of 24 in. barrels

Thanks for the info guys. Rl26 is proving to be most popular here but near Impossible to get. I managed to snap up most of the 23 around the place. I will do a ladder test and start at 57 right through to 61ish or until I hit pressure. This is the rifle with the old shot out barrel on it. Really excited for the proof carbon barrel. It's also wearing a zeiss v6 3-18x50 now

20200620_152253.jpg

RL23 is great in the AI. It will give you RL26 velocities without fliers and better temp stability. Plinker147 gave great advice. You should end up around 60 gr and 3000 fps. Another great powder is H4831sc or similar powders in its burn rate.

RL23 is great in the AI. It will give you RL26 velocities without fliers and better temp stability. Plinker147 gave great advice. You should end up around 60 gr and 3000 fps. Another great powder is H4831sc or similar powders in its burn rate.
RL 23 seems to have the buzz in the last few 280 AI communications. I was able to buy some but have yet tried any loads. But will agree H4831sc is a good choice. 150-168gr loads work well with that powder. Looking forward to hearing which powder and bullet work the best in your rifle. Thanks

I have the same chambering using RE23. RE22 data is all I had to work with. My load is 59.6 on a 143 Hammer hunter. Used a magnum Fed 215M primer to get the ignition optimum.
So, just start low and work up. The SAAMI 280AI chambering is low on data. I agree with the speeds and charges mentioned above. You would be very close to these.

I have the same chambering using RE23. RE22 data is all I had to work with. My load is 59.6 on a 143 Hammer hunter. Used a magnum Fed 215M primer to get the ignition optimum.
So, just start low and work up. The SAAMI 280AI chambering is low on data. I agree with the speeds and charges mentioned above. You would be very close to these.
Starting load development same 143 and Rl23 in Cooper AI. ANY NEW INSIGHTS? Velocity?
Thanks.

Starting load development same 143 and Rl23 in Cooper AI. ANY NEW INSIGHTS? Velocity?
Thanks.
Until it cools down, not much more data. I am steady at 3100 with Nosler brass. When I get Peterson brass, these numbers will change once the brass fireforms. Will be interesting to see where the node can be found if velocity moves up a tick. I plan on working up a 168 SMK load for trigger time, at a lower speed/pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts