RL23 for 280 rem?

letrbuck

Anyone know much about RL23 compared to RL22? I have heard mutterings that it is similar to RL22... I asked alliant this question and the answer I got was basically no it is not the same, data is not comparable, and we cannot verify it is safe to use in 280 rem.

I have had great success with RL22 and may stick with it, but I have noticed differences when shooting in cold temps. Should I try RL 23? Where should I start?

There are a few of us here just starting to post on RL23 in the `06 based cases. . .I think the consensus is we're liking it. I know I am! I think you would be safe to start out at 55 grains and work up. I have a 280AI and did not see pressure until 62.5 grains. . .and that load was crunchy when I seated the bullet in the case neck. Good luck and keep us posted.

Similar but the load data isn't identical so be sure and download their 2017 and 2016 powder manuals and as always start low and work up.

Just looked at the 2017 manual, they don't show RL23 loads for the 280 but they do show RL17, 19, 22, and Power Pro-4,000-MR

When I wanted to try RL23 for my .260 I used RL22 data and backed off a couple of grains and worked up.

The one problem with RL23 is that it's a bulky powder and I ended up with compressed loads for all of the bullets and powder weights I tried. Some of them are "really compressed". The problem with that is that it can result in some of your bullets pushing back out to relieve the compression if you don't want to crimp them after seating. That shouldn't be a problem in the 06 case but keep it in mind just in case.

Similar but the load data isn't identical so be sure and download their 2017 and 2016 powder manuals and as always start low and work up.

Just looked at the 2017 manual, they don't show RL23 loads for the 280 but they do show RL17, 19, 22, and Power Pro-4,000-MR

When I wanted to try RL23 for my .260 I used RL22 data and backed off a couple of grains and worked up.

The one problem with RL23 is that it's a bulky powder and I ended up with compressed loads for all of the bullets and powder weights I tried. Some of them are "really compressed". The problem with that is that it can result in some of your bullets pushing back out to relieve the compression if you don't want to crimp them after seating. That shouldn't be a problem in the 06 case but keep it in mind just in case.

I might give your method a try. When I contacted Alliant they basically told me they have no plans to test RL23 in 280 rem any time soon

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.