rl 33 in 7mag with 180s

bamadawg2009

Anybody have any load data for 7 rem mag and 180 grain Berger VLD hunting bullets?

I'm actually trying to work up a load for my 7LRM and cant find anybody running RL33 in one, so I figure Id work up 7mag loads and go from there 1 Grain at a time until I find what works.

I know everybody says Retumbo and H1000 but H1000 can't get the velocity without pressure and I don't have any Retumbo handy.

I looked up the original load data Alliant put out on the 7 Rem mag and 175 gr bullets. The max load data was:

7MM rem mag 175 speer sp 75.2 gr RL 33 @ 2909 fps
7MM rem mag 175 speer deepcurl 73.8 gr RL-33 @ 2853

The 7 LRM holds slightly less powder than the 7 STW. Here is what Alliant first published:

7mm stw 175 gr speer deep curl, 84.5 gr RL 33 @ 2946 fps
7mm stw 175 speer hpbt, 85.7 gr RL 33 @ 3033 fps

Figure out the case capacity of the 7 LRM in relation to these two cartridges and you should have a starting point. You could always ask Gunwerks.

IMO RL-33 may be a bit too slow to get top velocities. Based on a few cartridges I have used RL-33 in I'd say you can fill the case to 100% load density with a drop tube and not show pressure. Don't start loading that way..... just saying it will be filling the case. (it is that way with a 6mm-284 and the 257 weatherby both with heavy for caliber bullets.)

I looked up the original load data Alliant put out on the 7 Rem mag and 175 gr bullets. The max load data was:

7MM rem mag 175 speer sp 75.2 gr RL 33 @ 2909 fps
7MM rem mag 175 speer deepcurl 73.8 gr RL-33 @ 2853

The 7 LRM holds slightly less powder than the 7 STW. Here is what Alliant first published:

7mm stw 175 gr speer deep curl, 84.5 gr RL 33 @ 2946 fps
7mm stw 175 speer hpbt, 85.7 gr RL 33 @ 3033 fps

Figure out the case capacity of the 7 LRM in relation to these two cartridges and you should have a starting point. You could always ask Gunwerks.

IMO RL-33 may be a bit too slow to get top velocities. Based on a few cartridges I have used RL-33 in I'd say you can fill the case to 100% load density with a drop tube and not show pressure. Don't start loading that way..... just saying it will be filling the case. (it is that way with a 6mm-284 and the 257 weatherby both with heavy for caliber bullets.)

AZ Shooter,

I get a chrono'd 3000+ FPS using 64 grains of RL-22 & 175 Partitions, W-W brass, & Fed 215 primers out of my 24" barreled 7MM Rem Mag.

For the 7MM Rem Mag, the best powders I've used are H-4831 & RL-22.

If I hunt again with my 7MM Rem Mag, I'll probably go with a standardized load of a 150 grain Partition. That way, I can sight in one bullet for mule deer & elk.

I got great results from a 26" 7mm Rem Mag with the 175 Sierra and R33, right at 75gr also, I got 3050fps. I used R26 with the 160...forget the load right now, but both loads were safe.

I use 168 bergers with 66 grns of H 1000 in a 7mag with a 30inch barrel and it shoots bug holes at 100 yds, I would think in your 180"s H1000 would be worth a try

Thanks fellas for the info, I'm running 71grains of h1000 in the gun now but can't get the velocity without pressure signs. I'm also trying RL22 whenever I can make it to the range I've got some test loads to burn. Don't have any RL26, I'm just trying to figure out something with what I have on hand.

bamadawg:

what were you trying to get with H-1000? What velocity and how much powder?

Are you aware that the 7 LRM had issues with some lots of brass having thicker necks which spiked pressure due to the fact that the original reamer's neck dimensions didn't allow proper neck bullet release?

see below:

skipdavidson
SPONSOR Join Date: Aug 2006

Re: load data for 7mm LRM

Breaking news. We've tracked down the problem some are having with 7LRM. The pressure problems are stemming from a neck dimension from a loaded round that is too big for the chamber. The neck in a Gunwerks 7LRM chamber will be .322 at the shoulder junction and .321 at the mouth. Some brass from the current lot is measuring .319-.322. Way to big! The spec is .316", also, the last bunch of Bergers have been measuring at .2845! Our freebore is .2845", again, too tight. The solution is to neck turn your brass to obtain a loaded neck diameter no greater that .316" and shoot some of the new 180 Hybrids that are measuring 0.284.

We've traced the root cause back to one of two punch dies that are drawing the necks to dimension. That means that half of our brass production was batched out of spec. We will have new brass to spec in the October ball park. Please call me directly if you have any questions. 307.762.1406

The 7MM Rem Mag is an amazing cartridge. As we know, it was designed to be a long range elk cartridge. It hasn't disappointed hunters.

I don't recall of a 7MM Rem Mag that wasn't a shooter. It seems to be an inherently accurate cartridge.

I rely upon loading data from the 70's. The 7MM Rem Mag will achieve advertised velocities if hunters hand load. My 7MM Rem Mag has a 24" barrel, and I have no problem getting advertised velocities.

My 7MM Rem Mag seems to shoot better when it approaches max loads. I'm not concerned with blazing velocity. I'm more concerned with accuracy.

Another fantastic aspect of the 7MM Rem Mag is many powders work well with it. The slowest powder I've used is RL-22, the fastest is IMR-4350. I'd be surprised if H-4831 didn't work in a 7MM Rem Mag.

While I think that the 7MM Rem Mag is one our better cartridges for all North American big game, I'm not sure if I'll again hunt with mine. Mine is heavy. I'm thinking of using my .270 for everything. I like lightweight rifles where air is paper-thin.

Not necessarily what you want to hear but as already stated you should try RL 26. I shoot 180gr berger hybrids and vld's with both h1000 and RL 26. Though I find h1000 more accurate rl26 will get you better velocity without pressure problems.
Just my 2 cents

I get just over 3000 with 180 VLD in my Sendero with N570. Crazy accuracy!

jjw
ND

A hunter can't ask for more.

It's amazing how accurate factory rifles are. I had a friend who was a game warden. He's now in Heaven. We'd talk shop, guns, and hunting. I showed him a target with a very tiny 3-shot group that I made with my Sako 7MM Rem Mag. He told me that he had many custom rifles, but none as accurate as my factory rifle.

jweigel, the only problem I see is that your rifle has removed a miss excuse. You won't be able to blame a miss on your rifle. But that's a good thing.

I wish you complete success on all of your hunts this season.

Hi MPNCC,

I have read I have no clue of how many hunters who have used various powders in the 7MM Rem Mag with excellent results. While I've never tried RL-26, I keep reading great reviews of it.

One could easily assume that talcum powder would work in a 7MM Rem Mag. While that is facetious, it does imply that the 7MM Rem Mag is so darn versatile that many powders will produce excellent results.

Very true the 7mag is extremely versatile and many powders will produce with the round. The rl26 has given me better velocity with less pressure than either h1000 and retumbo and it also seems to me that rl26 is less temperature sensitive also. I hunt and target shoot anywhere from 300 ft elevation at 110° to 5800ft at +or- 0° and it has been the most reliable for me.
All just a personal opinion

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.