RL 33 in 338 RUM

D.Camilleri

I have been wanting to try some RL33 in my 338 RUM for some time now and I finally found a couple of pounds the other day. Today I loaded up some test rounds with 300 gr OTM's and started with 99.0 grs. I set up my chronograph and fired a cold bore shot with my H-1000 load of 90.0 gr with the OTMS. 2759 was the first shot followed by a second shot at 2794. I followed with the RL33 test loads. Two shots, 2716 and 2713. So the big question is how do I get enough powder in the case to achieve the benefit of the supposed added velocity. I did mange to get 101.0 grs in several other test loads, but I am seriously compressing powder. Before I seated the bullets, I placed the case with powder on top of my case tumbler and vibrated the powder charge for about 30 seconds. Any thoughts?

I shot the 101 grain loads with RL33 with my Berger 300 gr OTMs and they shot ok, square group of around an inch. The sun was too low on the horizon for my chronograph to work, so I don't know what the velocity was. There were no pressure signs. I might try the RL33 with the 300 grain accubonds since they over pressured with my H-1000 load that I shoot with Bergers.

My advice is to use once-fired brass, neck-sized only, and pour your powder charges through a drop tube. Using this technique, I figure a case filled to the base of the neck pretty closely approximates the max physical capacity with a given powder.

Interesting you can get so much RL33 in there with a 300 grain pill. But, I have never shot a 300 Berger... I do shoot the 300 Accubond with RL33 max load at 97 grains And 2900 fps out of my 27" Hart barrel. And groups were not all that good so probably over pressure. I backed off to 93 grains and I'm shooting groups in the .1's at 2780 fps. I love this powder.

I did try the 285 Barnes LRX with 33 and I had trouble squeezing in enough powder. My accurate load was compressed so I dropped the powder through a 2 foot long drop tube into the case. That helped and the load was just barely compressed.

Good luck let me know what you figure out.

Timber338,

What is your COAL with the accubond? My loads with the 300 gr Berger are set to magazine length, about 3.670. I will next try some reloader 33 with the 300 gr accubonds. Alliant lists a recipe of 99.3 grs of RL33 with 300 gr SMK and shows 2650+ for velocity with a 3.6 OAL.

My COAL is 3.810" and that just maxed out the length of my Wyatt box. And that totally makes sense that seating shorter at 3.67 is going to compress more.

I'm interested to hear how things go in your rifle with the Accubonds. Both the 225 & 300 Accubonds are lights out accurate in my rifle. I shoot the 225 over 95 grains of H1000 at 3140 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.