RL 26 velocity change from lot to lot??

I worked up a load for my 7 WSM using 175 gr. Nosler Accubonds last year with some Rl26 I had purchased out of curiosity a few years before. I had such good result, I searched and finally got 8 pounds recently. It gave the same (Velocity) at 1 grain less charge than the original. I worked the charge up from 2 grains below, looking for pressure signs first. The old charge with the new powder wasn't sticking cases but had beginnings of extractor marks and flat primers. This experience really punctuated for me treating a new lot of powder as if you are working up a new load. I will definitely use the chronograph again in the work up next time with this powder As my observation is the pressure signs come with velocity. I haven't found this large a variation lot to lot in most powders that I use.

I think between the new powder, dry lubing necks, and working in second fired cases with the 7mm RM that I created the increase without realizing it. I will continue to watch now since I am still in load development mode. I will be curious to see what my 6.5 Creedmoor does because I was almost finished with it and the rounds I loaded the other day were the same except the dry lube in necks.

I can confirm that lot to lot variation exists with RL26. I found that it wasn't a lot around 30-40 fps on mine but it did happen. This could be a problem for someone that is at a node that is near or at max pressure for their rifle. I am going to have to drop mine around a grain to get it back to where it was. Not a problem but it does make a difference especially when shooting longer ranges. If you have an issue with temp spikes, I suppose you could build different loads for the different temps that you would be working in and write them down and just load rounds accordingly.

RL26 is also a very dirty powder but it does give good results. I clean the carbon fouling out after every shooting session with BoreTech Carbon remover.

I can confirm that lot to lot variation exists with RL26. I found that it wasn't a lot around 30-40 fps on mine but it did happen. This could be a problem for someone that is at a node that is near or at max pressure for their rifle. I am going to have to drop mine around a grain to get it back to where it was. Not a problem but it does make a difference especially when shooting longer ranges. If you have an issue with temp spikes, I suppose you could build different loads for the different temps that you would be working in and write them down and just load rounds accordingly.

RL26 is also a very dirty powder but it does give good results. I clean the carbon fouling out after every shooting session with BoreTech Carbon remover.
Interesting on the carbon fouling part.

In my .260AI, I went around 200 rounds without a cleaning before any kind of accuracy deterioration, and when I cleaned, it really wasn't that bad.

With all powders I am really starting to wonder on this stuff, such as changes in lot to lot, temp sensitivity, how dirty it burns, and so on, if it is related to how a load is put together in a particular cartridge. For instance, if it is a high load density or possibly slightly compressed, vs a lot of spare room in the case, or if the powder is really well suited to a specific case, if it tends to show better traits, or if certain cartridges, say a long narrow powder column vs a short wide column, will show some changes in these variences with the same powder even if capacity is the same.

In my .260AI, I have had nothing but good results, but in my load I use a drop tube and am right at 100% fill, if I don't use a drop tube it is slightly compressed. I couldn't go any slower on the burn rate or wouldn't reach upper end pressure, and another powder of the same burn rate but more or less dense would also have issues with over/under fill. RL26 is the perfect powder for this specific case, and lends itself very well to a consistent load. However, in say a .264 win mag, it may get great velocity, but doesn't have great case fill. I wonder if it would be more tempermental in these specific aspects in such a case, being that it is not perfectly suited, or does it make no difference?

Interesting.

I haven't noticed any difference between my 6.5 and my 7mm loads. My 6.5 Creedmoor I have to use a drop funnel. The 7mm has all kinds of room but I haven't noticed any dirty or carbon issues yet. I do like the velocity that I'm getting but I'm just tweaking load for better groups. Slower and more accurate is fine with me.

The carbon build up doesn't affect the accuracy but it is a lot dirtier than say H1000 (in my rifle). I am using it in a 7mm Sherman MAX with a 195 Gr bullet. Super accurate and good ES. I'm just afraid that a carbon ring will build up a lot faster. I had to push out 5 patches of complete black patches before it cleared up and that was just with 20 shots on a clean barrel.

I am new to reloading with RL 26. I am loading for a 7mm RM. I had loaded a ladder with a one pounder that I had around. After loading that ladder and collecting data I reloaded another ladder lower but over lapped 67 and 67.2gn with a different lot out of an 8lb keg. Velocity was 100ft faster?? I just wanted to see if this is typical of this powder?
I had similar issues with el 22

I haven't loaded with RL 26 that long but so far I like what I'm getting out of it. Being able to shot it in multiple guns is a bonus too. I also have 3 7mm RMs to play with so burning up 16lbs shouldn't be a problem.

The carbon build up doesn't affect the accuracy but it is a lot dirtier than say H1000 (in my rifle). I am using it in a 7mm Sherman MAX with a 195 Gr bullet. Super accurate and good ES. I'm just afraid that a carbon ring will build up a lot faster. I had to push out 5 patches of complete black patches before it cleared up and that was just with 20 shots on a clean barrel.
Ya, I don't clean until I see accuracy issues. The damage that can be done by a cleaning rod smacking around in the bore and crown every 20 to 50 rounds is far worse than a carbon ring build up after a few hundred rounds (or much more, I have over 1,000 rounds fired with rl26 and another 500+ with either Varget or H4831sc in my .260AI alone with no issues yet), and that just takes a little kroil or jb bore paste and some elbo grease. I know that in bigger cartridges such as a 28 N they can build up much faster it seems.

Bunch of different ways to skin a cat though!

Last edited:
True,

I wrap a patch around a one caliber size smaller than bore diameter brush so it is a super tight fit. No banging around going on. I never scrub with a brush. Just have to let it soak a little longer.

I only pass a brush or jag out of the muzzle and then remove. I never drag a jag or brush back against the bullet path. A old smith I know told
me this. States most of the crowns he's fixed were from poor cleaning techniques and damage done by jags or brushes. Anyways, just makes perfect since to me. RL26 is a dirty powder though but that doesn't bother me!

I am new to reloading with RL 26. I am loading for a 7mm RM. I had loaded a ladder with a one pounder that I had around. After loading that ladder and collecting data I reloaded another ladder lower but over lapped 67 and 67.2gn with a different lot out of an 8lb keg. Velocity was 100ft faster?? I just wanted to see if this is typical of this powder?
This is why I stopped messing around with 1lber's once I found a powder that works in a given rifle. Most powders can suffer from these variations.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts