RL 26 velocity change from lot to lot??

smokin_gunn2

I am new to reloading with RL 26. I am loading for a 7mm RM. I had loaded a ladder with a one pounder that I had around. After loading that ladder and collecting data I reloaded another ladder lower but over lapped 67 and 67.2gn with a different lot out of an 8lb keg. Velocity was 100ft faster?? I just wanted to see if this is typical of this powder?

I have definitely seen larger variances in RL26 from lot to lot than other powders that I use. The 2 different lots that I have on hand right now, both from 2019, show a 60fps difference with the same charge. I had to drop the charge 0.6 grains to get back into the node.

I was shocked to see 100 fps. Luckily I am in load development so it's a good time to find this out. Luckily I wasn't going up in a ladder.

It is always recommended to start lower, like you did, when changing to a new jug of powder. If not, it would definitely cause problems like you experienced. I will say 100fps faster at that lower charge setting is pretty big.

I have been reading a lot of threads about that and I have since started looking for a node lower in the pocket because it shot really nice at the upper end but I didn't want to be at 69gns in the heat. I got almost 3200 fps out of the slow powder with no pressure signs but when I changed lots luckily I was looking for a lower node. I hope both 8lbers I bought athis the same time are a little closer in burn rates. Just opened an 8lb jug and still doing load development for two different rifles. One is a 7mm RM and the other is a 6.5 Creedmoor.

For the 7mm RM I found a really nice node on the upper end which I found with a slower lot of powder. I have a Browning Hells Canyon edition that's shoots Hornady ammo well but I reload so I have been going down on the RL 26 to try and match the factory ammo. I chronograph everything so I was hoping to get back down in the 2950 to 3000 window. I have got almost 3200 out of the slower lot of powder. The 6.5 Creedmoor I'm working on really likes RL 26 too. SD are around 5 right now with new Lapa brass. Can't wait to finish prepping brass to see the results. Accuracy in both guns has been good in both guns.

I am new to reloading with RL 26. I am loading for a 7mm RM. I had loaded a ladder with a one pounder that I had around. After loading that ladder and collecting data I reloaded another ladder lower but over lapped 67 and 67.2gn with a different lot out of an 8lb keg. Velocity was 100ft faster?? I just wanted to see if this is typical of this powder?

How many rounds have you shot through your rifle?

Well the 7mmRM was used only about 8 months old don't have an accurate count. I have personally put 150 rounds down the pipe. I was thinking about that also but looking back at my numbers and it definitely changed with the powder. It wasn't a gradual climb like my other two rifles that I have tracked since new.

If I have r26 old one I'll mix it with new container so it will be the better balance load

I haven't seen a huge change personally, but mine is a small sample. I have used 3 different lots in one of my guns, I switched bullets about the same time I switched to a different lot the first time, so no good comparison there. However I switched to a different lot with the same bullet, and started a grain below my load and worked up to a half grain over my load, and found it was within about 10 fps, and my node is nearly a full grain wide, so it was gtg with the same load. Like I said though, this is a small sample.

As far as stability, I have seen very little change, however I have heard that the main issues occur when temps get 80°-85°+, and I live in Wyoming, and rarely see temps that high, and almost never shoot/hunt in those temp.

I did a test and wrote a thread, link below:

However, as I stated, I have heard that the issues are with higher temps, which I have not tested, and I did not place my rifle in the freezer to have a cold rifle either, another thing to consider, so don't take it as gospel.

Well I will be putting it to the test this year. I have an Antelope hunt in eastern Oregon in Aug Sept. Then whitetail hunt in Idaho mid Nov. I am going to pack an extra rifle to compare. One with H1000 and the other with RL 26. Most of my hunting is here in the Northwest but I still travel to hunt too. While the Temps at home are more towards 40 to 70 most of the time just like to be ready for those days when it's +/- that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.