Rings & Mounts

Ramses II

Although I am stile determining rifle and scope. I am strongly leaning toward a Rem 700 VS and a 16X Super Sniper Scope to do some target out to 500 yds. Can you all recommend some rings and bases that will kepp er' shootin straight. Thanks,
Ramses II
(sorry if this post is in the wrong section)

We have a lot of info in the archives on scope mounts. Bottom line there are two basic designs, originally developed a long time ago by Weaver and Redfield. Both work fine. The Weaver design is more robust, it is used as the basis for tactical style mounts from Badger, GGG, Leupold MK4 and lots of others. Weaver style rings clamp to the base, crossbolt fits into a slot in the base, usually a 1/2 inch nut to tighten on side of ring or a handle in the case of Warne Maximas.

The Redfield design is more hunting/consumer grade and it is currently sold by Leupold, Millet, Burris and a few others. Redfield uses a combination of dovetail and opposed bolts. Dovetail is a weak link, turning it in place is a metal to metal fit despite lube, metal is usually displaced. Not much metal left at smallest portion of dovetail, it can bend if hit hard.

Most reasonable cost-wise would be the Warne Maxima Weaver style on a sloped Ken Farrel base or the excellent Burris Redfield style rings with a poly insert (offsettable) on a sloped Leupold base. Burris rings with inserts allow additional elevation alignment of the scope, plus Redfield design allows windage alignment by tightening-loosening opposed bolts. This adjustment is not possible with Weaver design tacticals or Warnes. You hope that the holes in the top of your receiver are close to lined up with the center of your bore.
Most expensive and strongest method is the true tacticals with Picatinny bases - looking at $250-300 or more for a setup.

I like a P rail. Make mine Badger!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a Rem. VS like you with a Badger 20 moa cant, and Badger rings.
Friend, go with Badger!! It just don't get any better..sakofan....

I will go with a picatinny mount. I know they ain't cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But they are the strongest. So, Which is better, a one piece mount or a two piece mount?

Ramses II

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.