Mounts and Rings

Kgkimerer

Since I am at least a year away from the build, I am wayyyyy ahead of myself. But, couldn't help but wonder, picatinny or weaver, or the other kind of mounts? This would be on a LA mild recoil rifle. Thanksgun)

KG,
I used Weaver style mounts for many many years and always liked what I had. I still have them on some of my older rifles. Over the past several years I've found the Picatinny rail system to be easier to set up,easier to align rings and easier to maintain. So I'd recommend the Picatinny style mount.
Just make sure you bed the mount on the rifle.
I don't believe there's anything that beats a good properly mounted Picatinny rail and a set of Burris Z rings with inserts.

KG,
I used Weaver style mounts for many many years and always liked what I had. I still have them on some of my older rifles. Over the past several years I've found the Picatinny rail system to be easier to set up,easier to align rings and easier to maintain. So I'd recommend the Picatinny style mount.
Just make sure you bed the mount on the rifle.
I don't believe there's anything that beats a good properly mounted Picatinny rail and a set of Burris Z rings with inserts.

+1! That's all I use these days. I'll be trying the XTR Signature rings on my upcoming project this year.

Here's the 1" Burris Signature XTRs on EGW pic rail. they come with enough insert to go from 0-40MOA

Attachments

• IMG_3893.jpg
    IMG_3893.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 47
+1! That's all I use these days. I'll be trying the XTR Signature rings on my upcoming project this year.

Hey how are these with a NF scope??? I see the 6 screws and less than half the price of NF rings and think that Weaver always made good products..... Just curious before I buy a few sets....

Thanks FEENIX

Mario

Burris Z rings with inserts and Picatinny Rail. Has worked excellent for me. Doesn't put ring marks on the scope. Easy to install. Etc, etc

Great thanks!!!!! I'll buy a couple sets and out hem on my guns. I haven't used them before. Like that they are so inexpensive and that they have 6 screws instead of 4. I know NF offers extremes. Just didn't want them

I like to use Mark 4 heavy duty rings for medium to heavy recoil guns and helps keep the scopes to stay on target after being banged up accidentally. Other than that Picatinny rail and Leupold / Burris rings will work just fine on low recoil guns. I use a 7mm Magnum and 7 STW fitted with muzzle brakes and with Leupold LRT 6.5 x 20 scopes and use those regular Picatinny / Leupold / Burris rings. Stays on target just fine. Just don't use them on heavy recoil guns and you will be fine. Group pic of 7mm Mag with Accubonds at 3190 fps.

Dsc1edk.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shooting!!!
I'm looking for my 338 lapua and stws
Just like keeping it simple no had all NF but since I've bought 4-5 new guns and all need rings, I wanted to stay the same. Like the look of the Burris and with the flat top, my level level level will work.

Burris rings will work just fine on low recoil guns.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. I'm a Leupold fan but have switched to Burris signature rings with inserts. Not really sure what you're considering low recoil but I have them on my all my .300 WMs except for my SAKO, .300 WSM, .338 WM and never have any problems with anyone of them. I'm currently building a .308 cal based on 8MM Rem Mag parent case and it will be wearing Burris XTR sig rings with inserts to launch the Berger 230s.

Since I am at least a year away from the build, I am wayyyyy ahead of myself. But, couldn't help but wonder, picatinny or weaver, or the other kind of mounts? This would be on a LA mild recoil rifle. Thanksgun)

Weaver bases / Burris Signature rings. This allows you to make some adjustments for side issues without twisting the windage turret. Or you can use them to get elevation without using the turret while sighting in.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. I'm a Leupold fan but have switched to Burris signature rings with inserts. Not really sure what you're considering low recoil but I have them on my all my .300 WMs except for my SAKO, .300 WSM, .338 WM and never have any problems with anyone of them. I'm currently building a .308 cal based on 8MM Rem Mag parent case and it will be wearing Burris XTR sig rings with inserts to launch the Berger 230s.

I am a Leupold fan as well, have been for 25 years. If you use big scopes like 30mm tubes, NightForce 34 mm and Mark 4 30mm on little bitty rings , etc, they have weight and if you use them on heavy recoil guns it may tend to be off a little compared to Mark 4 / heavy duty rings which holds them solid. Go on your favorite guided hunt and bang the gun / scope around in your truck or accidentally hit the door on your way in the blind, drop the gun on the floor and then you will worry if you will hit that deer at 300 yards or not. I never had my scope go off target with Mark 4 rings. I don't use Mark 4 rings on my low recoil guns, they are not needed. I have had 30mm scopes on Picatinny / Burris/ Leupold regular rings and accidentally banged them around on a hunt and was a bit off by a few inches at 300 yards.
A side note, if you are not a tackdriver, then its not needed for solid Mark 4 rings on heavy recoil guns. I put 5 shots into one little bitty hole at 100 yards and want the best. I use heavy duty rings on all of my long range benchrest guns, heavy recoil or not and shoot up to a mile. I have been reloading for 30 years. Not to rain on your parade but since your opinion differs from me,,,, I stand by my opinions because I seen it happen. I respect your opinions, its no problem. Picture down here is what I always like to do, its why I never missed a deer at extreme range,,,,yet. :D

Never used the new Burris offset inserts, but looks nice compared to the older rings I have used that is hard to align sometimes. Just saw the link.

rdyIfzV.jpg

irY5d0j.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts