Right handed left eye dominant

PEEWEE69

Ok I am right handed and left eye dominant . Up until recently I shot a right handed rifle .now I have one lefthanded rifle and it's taking some getting use to old habits die hard . Now here's my question since I do shoot left handed in your opinion does it make a difference in accuracy and ability to shoot better to shoot with the proper handed rifle ?

There is a very successful long range f class shooter that is left eye dominate and right handed. He uses tall rings and no cheekrest.

I am in the same boat...In a RH rifle I would look for neutral stock (I.e. No cast off) and no palm swell. You don't want the gun to work against you.

I have LH rifles but in my shotguns I either use an O/U with cast-on or, most of the time, I use. Browning BPS pumps with bottom eject so I don't have shells flying across my face.

Ok I am right handed and left eye dominant . Up until recently I shot a right handed rifle .now I have one lefthanded rifle and it's taking some getting use to old habits die hard . Now here's my question since I do shoot left handed in your opinion does it make a difference in accuracy and ability to shoot better to shoot with the proper handed rifle ?

You've got to do what's comfortable to you or practice enough that you able to overcome comfort issues.
I make myself shoot right handed once in a while for kicks. I'm a left eye dom. lefty so it's a P.I.T.B. but I go for it anyway. The biggest thing I notice is I actually feel recoil a bit more shooting from my right side. It's also a bit more of a struggle to get a full view in the scope.

Same situation here. But I was told to shoot left handed when I was 6. Try to find a LH 22 bolt gun and shoot the crap out of it. After it awhile it's natural. All my rifles are lefty except 2 which have sako varmint stocks which are neutral.

Weather it's right or left I shoot it left handed I have to left eye so dominant that if I try shooting right handed I couldn't hit the ground with 3 tries lol

I shoot with both eyes open no matter which side. I am left handed, but was told at age 7 to shoot right handed, as most guns are built that way and life would be simpler. I have a vague recollection of some struggle to use my right eye, but trained out of it and can now (I am 49) switch from side to side with no conscious effort. If it is difficult for you to use your non-dominant eye if that is not your more talented hand, try this. put a piece of scotch tape on the lens of your shooting glasses for your dominant eye, and allow your brain to work with the remaining available image. Avoid closing one eye when shooting, as the muscle work involved will compress and somewhat change focus of the open eye. For practice, spend some glassing time with your spotting scope, keeping both eyes open and switching from side to side every few minutes. You can train your brain to process the images if you put in the time. When you do get behind the rifle, use the tape on glasses trick to finish the process. Which ever way you ultimately decide to go, you can make it work. Some people can train the "dumb" hand easier, others can train the "dumb" eye easier. You will find which option is best for you.

I have a son and a cousin that are left eye dominate and both shoot right hand rifles with neutral stocks left handed. It's the way they learned as kids. They drop the rifle down and run the bolt with their right hand and do everything right handed except break the trigger.

I might add both do it quite well.

Now here's my question since I do shoot left handed in your opinion does it make a difference in accuracy and ability to shoot better to shoot with the proper handed rifle ?
With a scope, I shoot just as accurate/precise with either hand; no matter what the rifle's orientation. With iron sights I shoot more accurate using my dominant eye, (left,) since I can see better; no matter what the rifle's orientation.

"and ability to shoot better"
By "ability to shoot better;" I'll assume you mean manipulate the rifle.
Yes, I can get consecutive shots off faster using a right handed rifle with a traditional right handed hold.

I shoot my lever action just as well with both hands, since it is ambidextrous.

I would go as far as to say; if I bought a left handed bolt action, I would learn to manipulate it left handed, as well as I do a right handed bolt action, right handed.

I am left eye dominant, right handed and I shoot rifles right handed.

I don't see what the problem is...eye dominance is usually only a problem wing shooting or skeet shooting with shotguns. It makes no difference with scoped rifles and no difference with handguns.

What am I missing here?

I am left eye dominant, right handed and I shoot rifles right handed.

I don't see what the problem is...eye dominance is usually only a problem wing shooting or skeet shooting with shotguns. It makes no difference with scoped rifles and no difference with handguns.

What am I missing here?

I can't speak for others, but for me there is a natural comfort level. I feel I am fighting my natural tendencies to shoot right handed (I am LED, RH'ed). I have been shooting lefty for 30 yrs, so it is pretty engrained in me. I shoot pool, a bow, and guns lefty.

If I practiced shooting righty I imagine I would get used to it, but I feel all crossed up if I try to switch up.

When shooting through a scope it should be no problem. Just cover or close your left eye.

That's a hell of a lot easier to do than to switch hands after a lifetime of being right handed.

When shooting through a scope it should be no problem. Just cover or close your left eye.

That's a hell of a lot easier to do than to switch hands after a lifetime of being right handed.[/QUOTE]

I've shot lefthanded since I was around 6 when I was 20 something I tried shooting right handed both eyes open, left eye closed , and even tried a patch over left eye . But when I did that I could never get a good sight picture with or without a scope . So I just stuck with shooting lefthanded

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.