Rifles wished to be produced‼️?? Wishlist

Often, I have heard this, but I had a lot of family and friends who used 742's for decades, and I cannot recall any of them ever complaining about jams. I did see one 742 in 280Rem that failed to feed with a particular reload, but that was solved by using a different powder and upping the pressure slightly.

Like many autos, the mag may become slightly bent at the top and cause failures, or lack of proper cleaning. Like many things, there can be occasional mfg errors that need attention. YMMV

I haven't heard about "jamming" issues, but with my minimal experience with them (they were fairly popular in Louisiana) as I did some hand loading for a few of them…..100 yard groups were measured with a yardstick! 🫢🤮🙀 OK, not quite that bad…..but, you get the picture! 😉 😁 memtb

I haven't heard about "jamming" issues, but with my minimal experience with them (they were fairly popular in Louisiana) as I did some hand loading for a few of them…..100 yard groups were measured with a yardstick! 🫢🤮🙀 OK, not quite that bad…..but, you get the picture! 😉 😁 memtb
That jogged back some yesteryear memories back on bayou Blue and the Basin. I think I had the 742 in 6MM, 308 and 3006. You were a real deer hunter if you owned a 742 and a good pack of dogs.

I have a 742 in 30-06. I can get the gun to group at about 1.25" at 100yds but that is after the gun has had a clip or two run through it. I don't know where the first shot of the day will hit. It is usually within an 8" circle of the point of aim but sometimes as much as 10". I tinkered with the gun and with hand loads for a couple of years but never solved the issue. Sits in the safe farthest left (never used).

Rifles with "actual" barrel lengths (ya know with rifling not 2 inches of muzzle break) of 26-28 inches. In particular with magnum calibers. It really chaps my backside to see some company come out with a nice bolt gun with a carbon fiber barrel in a nice magnum caliber like 300 WM and then only offer it with a 20-22 inch pipe.

I have often wondered why a 270/308 or
270/08 or 27-08 was never made. I figure someone wildcat it at onetime. But I have never seen dies for it. I think that would be a great cartridge.
As somebody else said the 277 Fury or the 6.8x51 new military cartridge, pretty cool, but not quite a 270-08 or a real 6.8x08. Maybe a 6.8 PRC would sell. 🤣

On the subject of 6.8s, I would like a lite 6.8 SPC ll in a compact scout setup. Say a Howa mini-action with a 14.5" w/integral 3 port brake to get it 16". Something in the 4 lb range with a carbon wrapped barrel and folding carbon stock. Be a great walking rifle I think and in a bolt action you could get the 105 gr monos moving at 2700 that's good enough for deer and antelope to 400.

I wish Sig would bring back the SIG 970, bolt action and the trail side 22 pistol. I had a chance to buy the 970 with 2 barrels 300 Winchester Mag and 270 bolts and magazines for $900. I never shot one but loved the idea of having a factory switch barrel. The Trail side I believe Beretta or Hammerri makes something close.
Jason

Rifles with "actual" barrel lengths (ya know with rifling not 2 inches of muzzle break) of 26-28 inches. In particular with magnum calibers. It really chaps my backside to see some company come out with a nice bolt gun with a carbon fiber barrel in a nice magnum caliber like 300 WM and then only offer it with a 20-22 inch pipe.
Just like in my OP 😀 just like the old school varmint & target rifles! Heavy 26" or better pipes

I wish Sig would bring back the SIG 970, bolt action and the trail side 22 pistol. I had a chance to buy the 970 with 2 barrels 300 Winchester Mag and 270 bolts and magazines for $900. I never shot one but loved the idea of having a factory switch barrel. The Trail side I believe Beretta or Hammerri makes something close.
Jason
Thompson Center made the switch barrel Dimension but it never caught on! I **** near bought one many times & never did. It had 3 different bolt sizes, for 223, then medium size then magnum

I have a 742 in 30-06. I can get the gun to group at about 1.25" at 100yds but that is after the gun has had a clip or two run through it. I don't know where the first shot of the day will hit. It is usually within an 8" circle of the point of aim but sometimes as much as 10". I tinkered with the gun and with hand loads for a couple of years but never solved the issue. Sits in the safe farthest left (never used).
Look up Accuracy Systems. They are in Colo
1-303-822-6849. I'll bet they can tell you & fix that 742. They are awesome to work & deal with.

Mine would fail to fire in cold temps @ below 32° . Had it to 3 different smiths, each one said "oh you oiled it" No I didnt,.
It would feed and fire as long as it was above freezing 🥶 mine was a 742 308
Check the rail the bolt is on. It's essentially a trapezoid. It has rough spots on it that need to be filed if was betting.