Matching rifles to scopes

Litehiker

Once we know we "need" a special rifle the next problem is a scope to match the jobe we have in mind for that special rifle.

So let me build my dream rifle/scope combo for general western US big game hunting:

ACTION-> Nucleus 3 lug bolt (a Remington 700 bottom profile)

BARREL-> Proof Research (Bartlein is their inner barrel)

STOCK-> light carbon fiber, currently Stockey's Long Range (26 oz.)for Proof's Senedro barrel with M5 Stealth bottom metal and Accurate mag 5 round mags.

SCOPE-> Vortex AMG 6-24 x 50 (excellent all US-made scope excepting the German-made reticle)

MOUNT-> Nightforce Magmount one piece titanium alloy, zero degree slope

CARTRIDGE-> 6.5/284 (not quite a barrel burner)

This rifle is going to be around 6.5 lbs. +- WITH the scope and mount

So here I have a light, quality rifle, "fairly light" cartridge and a "fairly light" (28 oz.) highest quality scope with enough magnification for shooting out to 800 meters/yards. Yes, there are lighter scopes but not of the AMG quality level in that magnification range. The scope matches the rifle in both purpose and quality.
BTW, The AMG has a 30 mm. tube with a patented internal reticle gimbal design that gives it exceptional range of movement relative to all 30 mm. tubed competitors.

Other examples:
-> Ruger 96/22 mag lever action - Bushnell Trophy 1.75 - 4X (1" tube)
-> Browning A-Bolt .300 Win mag - old Burris Black Diamond 6 - 12 x 50 (30 mm tube) Not the best match but good "at that time".

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.