Rifle Scopes

Hi, thanks for all of your advice. Im going to be using this rifle for hunting. Ill be using it for anything from moose and bear to hopefully bighorns and antelope. I wanted to know also what a good magnification would be. Would 5-20 be to much or too little. Thanks for your input.

Optics are very personal decision. The best LRH scope for me may not be the best LRH scope for you. We all have different eyes (which change with age), and different hunting styles (which vary by species and terrain).

To answer your question, there are already a couple of posters who have hinted that 5x may be a little too much (for their tastes) on the bottom end. No one has said 20x is too little on top.

Remember magnification is multiplicative;

3x is to 5x

As 15x is to 25x

A lower magnification yields a wider field of view, and this can be helpful if a target presents itself within 100yd... Especially if the target is moving.

The top end matters less, and resolving detail is more a function of optical quality than magnification. For example, I have a really good pair of binoculars - they are 'only' 8x but I can see more detail with them at 1000yd than I can with other optics at much greater magnification. Mirage can become a big factor after 12-15x, so depending on the conditions, it may be impractical to use more.

I think 3-18x is about ideal.

I would look for 4x or less on the bottom and 15x or more on the top.

Of course a 5-20x or 5-25x will work, but to me sacrificing the low range where my scope lives for a high range I may not even get to use (due to mirage, or lack of light) is a poor trade off.

3-18 power is about ideal for any hunting situation. VX6HD would be a good choice if you could save a few more pennies.

The Burris Veracity is pretty heavy for what it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.