Rifle Scopes

Mason Jackson

Hi, Im new to long range hunting. And I plane on getting a Browning Hells Canyon Long Range. Im going to get this gun in .300 Win. Mag. I was wondering you ya'll had any ideas on scopes. Because I was looking at the NightForce SHV 5-20x56mm Riflescope, but was wondering if there was better scopes but for the same or lesser price.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 10.16.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 10.16.24 PM.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited by a moderator:
I personally like a lot of scopes better than the night force SVH... I am mainly a hunter and not a precision shooter so some of these will be geared more towards hunting .

1. Bushnell LRHS 4.5x18--I love the first focal plane,the G2H Retical. Very good glass for the dollar--Low-profile tactical elevation knob --and capped Windage.. you could mount itd Low enough with the 44 mm objective, just a great well thought out hunting scope. Price $1200-$1400..so good I have 3

2.for less money the Vortex Viper HS LR...decent glass, FFP, 6x24.. so good magnification range...$875-1000...good features--but not quite as good as the scope above.

3. Bushnell HDMR...good stuff...just wished for a capped windage turret. Street price$ 1600

4 Leupold Mark 6...3x18...love everything about this scope but the price... capped Windage, great glass, solid construction , Great warranty, solid internals ...but $2500 price tag...ouch.... reason I only own one.

As far as I'm concerned nightforce scopes are some of the best. Didn't say there aren't better, but just plain darn hard to beat. With that said you will probably get better advise from these guys if you explain what you are going to ( target, hunt etc) and if weight of this setup matters to you. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

I would look for first focal plane if you can now that I have 1 wish all my scopes were. Mine is the Burris Veracity a nice clear scope and in the price range of the SHV. If you are going to hunt find one in the 2 to 4 power starting range Way better on the close up or running shots. Nice choice of gun from what I have seen of them.

You can check out Vortex viper long range. It's cheaper though has slightly narrower magnification but you'll get better eye relief and lighter than the SHV.

Last edited:
Hi, Im new to long range hunting. And I plane on getting a Browning Hells Canyon Long Range. Im going to get this gun in .300 Win. Mag. I was wondering you ya'll had any ideas on scopes. Because I was looking at the NightForce SHV 5-20x56mm Riflescope, but was wondering if there was better scopes but for the same or lesser price.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! Excellent choice in chambering, the .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. There is certainly nothing wrong with your choice of scope, esp. when it meets your requirements. A few years ago I considered the same scope but went with the SWFA 5-20x50 HD MRAD (https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html) instead for my .300 WSM and very pleased with it.

Previous posters have provided a nice list of comparable price range. I also have the Burris Veracity in 4-20x50 on my .270 AI and also very pleased with it.

Good luck!

Congrats on the Hell Canyon Long Range!!! I just bought one myself in 300 Win Mag! I have another custom long range 300 Win Mag that sports a Burris XTR II. This rifle was built with a heavy Bartlein barrel so I don't mind having a heavy scope on it. Way too heavy for a hiking/hunting rifle. That is why I picked up the Browning. I am going with the Leupold 5HD 3-15x. Decent weight & I have several other Leupold scopes that I love. Planning on this rifle being an 800 yard rig. My custom stays super sonic to a mile so my Tundra packs it while I glass for long range coyotes!
Good luck with the rifle! Let us know how it shoots. Spring black bear coming in 3 months!
Thanks, Kirk

Vortex Viper HS LR...decent glass, FFP, 6x24 you wont break the bank and its absolutely an overall nice scope.

Hi, thanks for all of your advice. Im going to be using this rifle for hunting. Ill be using it for anything from moose and bear to hopefully bighorns and antelope. I wanted to know also what a good magnification would be. Would 5-20 be to much or too little. Thanks for your input.

If you are looking to pick from the best then here's a good list:
Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25×56
NightForce C507 5.5-22×56 NXS
Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24×50 VMR-1 Reticle (MRAD)
Leupold Mark 4 ER/T
Steiner M5Xi Military 5-25×56

I cant go anything over $1,300 and would rather not even do that because i'm only 17. And this is all my money, I wish I was one of those kids that could just have daddy's money.o_O

I would wait till after SHOT. Lots of new stuff coming out.
This is a win win for you. You can get the latest greatest, or get a smoking deal on the old models.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.