Rifle scope for elk hunting

Interesting post. I always keep my 4.5-14 VX3 on 6x when hunting through the forests. When I shoot off-hand at the range for practice ... 6x. It's my favorite all around power setting.

For my longer shots I always like that I can crank up to 14x though ... has 14x made a shot possible where 6x would not have worked? probably not. My longest kill shot on an elk was with a 3-9x set at 9.

It really is amazing how we always get way more than we need in our gear, but like others have mentioned, it's that "what if" scenario. I like to know I can make a long shot if it's the only shot available.

Swarovski Z5 Ballistic Turret 3.5-18x on my .300 Weatherby
Swarovski Z5 Ballistic Turret 3.5-18x on my 7mm STW
Leupold 2.5-8x on my .338 Win Mag.
Leupold 3.5-10x on my 300WSM
Leupold 2.5-8x on my 30/06
Leupold 3.5-10x on my .280 Remington
Leupold 2.5-6x on my .416 Taylor
Leupold 1.75-5x on my .375 H&H

Elk hunted for the first time last year and used the only rifle I had. Win .270 with an old Swaro 4x scope. Shot a cow at 320 yards.

This year I have a .300 win mag and a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 ballistic turret. I plan to keep it on 3.5x most of the time.

Hunted every thing for years with a 3x9, worked great. Next came the 4.5x14 and I thought how did I ever get by with the other. Now I use a 5.5x22 with turrets and moa reticle, I am in hog heaven. Remember you can always turn them down, but ya can't turn them up if you don't have it.

Actually a fixed 6x is the smartest way to go for western big game hunting. Its lighter, clearer, and you'll find you make all your shots easily out to 400y even i f you are punching paper with a 4" bullseye. And you dont have to lug around the extra 6oz of wt that most variables add on. Good luck.

I hunt western game, in western states, cause I live here, & I would not go with a scope I couldn't turn down in the thick & nasty country, or turn up in the open country often in the same day.

If its strictly on a LR only rig why wouldn't you want more than 6x? If you hunted here, there, & everywhere you find critters why not be able to turn it down?

To each thier own I guess, but if ounces count that much I'd buy a featherweight rifle, trade the bic lighter in for paper matches, don't cary any water, or rope, cause you can drink out of a creek, & braid sinew or vines, or, just stay in the pickup.
In short, it just wouldn't do for my style of anywhere, any time any critter in North America hunting. I gotta cover country of all types.

Then again I'm "far from an expert" as mentioned in your earlier post.....:rolleyes:

Actually a fixed 6x is the smartest way to go for western big game hunting.

I respectfully disagree. I have 2 Leupold VXIII 4.5x14s, one on my 25-06 Antelope rifle and one on my .300 Wby Elk rifle. Started out over 50 years ago with a Weaver K4 on my 30-06 and have experienced the steady increase in quality and power in our riflescopes. My Leupolds are the finest optics (for the $$$) and perform outstanding. The real benefit of variable power is being able to use the setting that fits the area and situation you are hunting. If I was limited to 6x while hunting Antelope and I saw several bucks at 400 yds+, I would have to get out my binos and start looking. With my optics I can crank it up to the setting I am comfortable with, make my decision and shoot...without ever taking my eyes off the 2 animals. Same situation on Elk or Deer.

That is my take. I have 10 Leupold VXIIIs, all varible powers. From a 3x9 compact on my .17 HMR to a 6 x 20 on a .220 Swift Ackley Imp. They all do their job remarkably well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.