Backup rifle for elk hunt?

Biggs300

Some of my hunting buddies and I are planning a Colorado elk hunt later this year and I will be taking my 300 Win Mag. I almost always take a backup rifle even on deer hunts but the only other rifles I own are a Rem 700 25-06 and a Marlin 30-30. I know that bullet selection will be important, but I wanted to get your thoughts on which would be the better backup for elk.

25-06 110 NAB, 115 TSX, 115 Berger, go for your basic lung shot, Get it shooting well, most likely wont need it

Myself and the two buddies that I have hunted with for many years only take one rifle between us for a backup that we are all familiar with. In 40+ years of hunting I had to use the backup one time as my horse went down and broke the stock on my rifle. The odds of having to go to your backup in my experience is slim and none.

Between the two you mention I would choose the 25-06 unless your hunting partners have a better choice.

If your buddies are taking one two then I say take the 30-30. If the season is hot and dry or there's been too much hunting pressure elk can hold up real tight in the trees and a open sighted 30-30 while stalking in the trees can sure give you an advantage when the shot has to be quick. Not talking about a slop shot but a quick aimed shot if one stands up in front of you. Also while stalking in the trees with a scoped rifle turn it down to it's lower power. Remember that always. It can make or break your hunt in mere seconds. Good luck to you.

Thanks for your input. At least one in our party is bringing a .270 and another a .308 so, we will probably have several to choose from. I use 110 grain Nosler AB's for deer and they have performed well and will bring them for the backup. My 30-30 has never been real accurate even with 160 gr Hornady Leverevolutions...but it is a fun gun to carry. Again, thanks for your responses.

I think I might go with the .30 30 Win and Nosler's 170gr Round Nose Partition... specially if your going to be in thick wooded areas; where "bull Elk" here like to hide near the Cow's. All in all I think the .30 30 lever rifle as a back up might serve you a little well... I've killed a couple of "large" Idaho deer with that bullet, caliber and rifle combo, with in it's range I'm sure it would have no trouble killing an Elk; with a well spaced shot. Yes I know there might be shot's out there, out of range of the .30 30 Win... I guess you'd know better than me the area your hunting and what might happen.

The area where we will hunt has open meadows, long, wide open valleys and dark timber. No one in the hunting party has actually seen the area but Google Earth 3D shows the higher elevations to around 9500 feet are heavily treed. I may need to consider the 30-30 but will need to put a scope on it as the iron sights are horribly inaccurate not matter how much I try to adjust them. Again, thanks for your responses.

Hey,

as a Backup rifle for Elk i recommend you a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 Gov. or 450 Marlin!

I have one in 450 Marlin for battue hunting on wild boar here in Germany. Shooting distance is usually less than 100 meters. At this distance it is outstanding!

In my opinion, very well suited as a Backup rifle!

Greets
Pascal

Biggs300,
I would have to agree the 45.70 is a great back up rifle anywhere. I have a M71 in .348 Win I've used for years as a back. But when I really want "light carry rifle" as the back I still use my {1943} M94 .30 30 Win. or my (1970) M94 in .44 Mag.
As for the scope comment; try a set of Williams FP-94/36 receiver peep sight with a new fiber front, you'll pick up the accuracy and dump the weight of the scope. Leave the smaller peep in when your in a little more open country, unscrew it and take it out when your hunting the thick dark areas for faster shot's, it make a good ghost ring when the peep aperture is removed.
Here's a thread of a few of my deer rifles and back up rifles.
1903 M96 K31 with Deer rifles
Good luck

436, the peep sights look interesting. I never rally thought too much about using peeps primarily because the factory iron sights that came on the gun are so poor. And, you do have some great backup rifles and a couple that would be great "go-to" rifles as well.

Biggs300,
Thanks for the kind words..... I think if you give those peep sights a chance you'll be very happy with how they work.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.