Handgun for hunting elk ?

There is an outfit named Big horn armory that makes a fine rifle in 460 and 500 S&W

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/1/big-horn-armory-products/

I know it is not a Ruger #1 but it is a repeater. We also have built muzzle brakes for the beast that really tame it down.

The rifle comes threaded to 3/4 x 28 TPI if you go this route.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks I did follow your link and checked these out. Nice looking rifle, might have to fob the sock drawer and get one.

I handled the Remington xp today and I must say it's a keeper.

The bolt action pistols are great! I've spent a lot of time hunting with both 284 Win and 338/375 Ruger Savage Strikers (the Savage version of an XP-100 if you're not familiar with them) and they work great as a back pack gun. I carry mine in an Eberlestock pack while hiking into a spot and then just carry a revolver for any targets of opportunity which present themselves along the way.

Seems weird putting this on a long range hunting forum, but you asked. Not my biggest but was sure fun! 44 magnum 270 grain Speer deepcurl at 1250fps 5" 629 at 19 yards. I also have a 460V for serious bear issues 300 grain bullet at 1450fps shoots nice but too **** loud for hunting!
538DD0BD-37DC-4A10-83D2-439557E543F9.jpeg

Seems weird putting this on a long range hunting forum, but you asked. Not my biggest but was sure fun! 44 magnum 270 grain Speer deepcurl at 1250fps 5" 629 at 19 yards. I also have a 460V for serious bear issues 300 grain bullet at 1450fps shoots nice but too **** loud for hunting!View attachment 93547

Really nice picture
.44 mag really goes the job, thanks.

Do you want a dedicated hunting pistol? Are you going to be shooting 100 yards plus?
If so then go the 460 route or comparable caliber. As mentioned it is a 200 yard plus caliber.
Occasional hunting under 100 yards, do a 44mag and you can practice with 44 special loads. A 44 has the diameter and velocity to get the job done at closer ranges.
A 357 would be my last choice. Shoots lighter bullets. Not enough power for game bigger than deer. JMO

Do you want a dedicated hunting pistol? Are you going to be shooting 100 yards plus?
If so then go the 460 route or comparable caliber. As mentioned it is a 200 yard plus caliber.
Occasional hunting under 100 yards, do a 44mag and you can practice with 44 special loads. A 44 has the diameter and velocity to get the job done at closer ranges.
A 357 would be my last choice. Shoots lighter bullets. Not enough power for game bigger than deer. JMO
I feel the 357 mag is to light for elk ,unless it is in a contender. 44mag is about the smallest I would use on elk.

Thanks I did follow your link and checked these out. Nice looking rifle, might have to fob the sock drawer and get one.

I assumed you live is Alaska or just really liked it and though the 460 S&W would be great to carry (Except for the weight) or the lever rifle.

Ether would take anything that might come at you. I wish I could afford one of the Bighorn Rifles, but will just have to settle for the pistol and my single shot 460s.

Until Marlin was bought out I had intended to get one of their big bores

J E CUSTOM

Thanks to everyone, I bought a Remington XP today. It's being shipped as I type this. Can't wait to test its limits. I bet it will be a nice backup hunting gun.

I assumed you live is Alaska or just really liked it and though the 460 S&W would be great to carry (Except for the weight) or the lever rifle.

Ether would take anything that might come at you. I wish I could afford one of the Bighorn Rifles, but will just have to settle for the pistol and my single shot 460s.

Until Marlin was bought out I had intended to get one of their big bores

J E CUSTOM
Lived up north for 10 years and plan to return someday. Originally from Western WY. left there in 2006 and moved up north but work has brought me back to the lower 48.
Starting to sound like MT and WY both are getting ready to start permitting a few griz.
Nothing better than smokin' griz, loved hunting them. I had to deal with them a fair bit in WY. when we hunted the Yellowstone country, never really had any issues with them there but we would see 3-4 about every fall. I own a place in NW MT and while I've personally never seen a griz there they claim there are many. Not surprising I haven't seen any as we mostly just vacation there for now. A few more years and I stop playing miner I'll retire there and spend part of my summers back up north.

Well handguns and long range seem a bit incompatible but...

With whitetails I've had good luck with a 10mm 1911. I have not, but would, hunt elk with a 44Mag at appropriate ranges.

I own a 45-70 BFR with a 7.5" barrel. Wow. You can load it until your wrist breaks. I started with 350gr soft points but ditched those when they surface splattered on a deer and moved to 325gr FTX. With the proper bullet I'd hunt ANYTHING with it. I've shot 405gr hardcast out off it, at loads difficult to hold onto, it will pretty much go through anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.