Rifle Rest? Do's and Don'ts?

TrpD345

Rifle Rest? Do\'s and Don\'ts?

I am in the market for a rifle rest to use mainly to zero my rifles and maybe some medium range groundhog shooting. Can someone guide me in the right direction. What effects do the type rests that have a strap that supports the rifle between the butt-plate and your shoulder have on accuracy when the rest is not used? I am not talking about the type that straps the rifle down, but the kind that helps the rest absorb recoil. I guess what I need is the "Do's and Don'ts" OF RIFLE RESTS! Thanks!

Re: Rifle Rest? Do\'s and Don\'ts?

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the market for a rifle rest to use mainly to zero my rifles and maybe some medium range groundhog shooting. Can someone guide me in the right direction. What effects do the type rests that have a strap that supports the rifle between the butt-plate and your shoulder have on accuracy when the rest is not used? I am not talking about the type that straps the rifle down, but the kind that helps the rest absorb recoil. I guess what I need is the "Do's and Don'ts" OF RIFLE RESTS! Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i can tell you you WILL NOT see any recoil straps at a benchrest match /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Caldwell rest is a bargain for what you get -- can get from Midway, Misdouth Shooters etc.

How much $$ do you want to spend?

YMMV,
JB

We do all of our shooting off of a Harris BenchRest bi pod and a rear sandbag. You would be amazed at how steady you can be off of this set up

Good Luck
Steve

Thats what I was wondering was how the strap effected the accuracy? I was looking to spend around $100 or less. Thanks!

I could see the strap down rest handy for sighting in and testing new loads but don't expect the rifle to shoot the same with out the rest. Just the same as I could sight your gun in for you but it may not hit the the target the same when you shoot it. I have 2 Harris bipods A short one for prone shooting and a taller one for shooting from a sitting position. What ever set up you decide to use practice with it on the range and use the same for hunting.
Thunder stick

The reason why you don't see any recoil straps at a 1k br match is not because they're not accurate, it's because one piece rests are illegal.

The Benchmaster type rests are dead steady and I have used them with great success and if your rifle is bedded properly, they will shoot same point of impact offhand as well.

Hi Trp,
I have shot all my Varmint rifles and my 300wsm off a full tilt windage adjustable Bald eagle rest and also the Versa-pods combined with a rear bag that they are usually fitted with.

I can honestly say that i have noticed no change whatsoever in group size and accuracy when alternating between the
two.
Bench rests do have the advantage of enabling you to re-aquire your point of aim quickly and to use the adjustments to put you on target in the first place but i think you can zero just as well with a bi-pod and a rear bag.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

[ QUOTE ]
The reason why you don't see any recoil straps at a 1k br match is not because they're not accurate, it's because one piece rests are illegal.

The Benchmaster type rests are dead steady and I have used them with great success and if your rifle is bedded properly, they will shoot same point of impact offhand as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt specify "1kbr" matches. I'm talking ANY BR matches whether or not there are rules limiting rests.

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.