Rifle finishes in the past and now

Philward

I remember as a kid nearly all rifles were nicely polished and finished, sometimes a pretty nice wood stock and some plain. A few like the Rem 788 were not finished so well but the majority were with a nice bluing on the metal. These days it seems the manufacturers have all stopped the final finishing step of polishing the barrels and actions, except for some higher end models probably aimed at display uses. I know there are a few but the majority are flat finished and kind of rough. I know its for cost of manufacture and customer demand for low luster tactical look, but dang I sure like the polished look. And it's easier to clean in my opinion.

So what do you all prefer, nice looking piece of craftsmanship or a dull, throw behind the seat of truck beater look? 😇

I've always been anti aesthetics on just about everything...but the older I get the more I appreciate nicer looking things.
Besides, once you get a rifle shooting as good as you're possibly capable, the only improvements left to make would be to aesthetics.
Last years goal was to cut my first chamber, this year it's to build a fine wood stock for it. Just seems a shame to let it sit in the cheap plastic donor I got it in right now.

I've got a bunch of ugly guns, and a couple decent looking ones. I'm in the long process right now of building a pretty gun. It'll be polished and blued with a fancy claro walnut stock. I love deep bluing and pretty wood, but sometimes ugly works.

I appreciate the functionality of utility rifles but consider them a tool I guess. But those Weatherby m5 or Vanguard deluxe models are nice and more than just a tool, or the win m70 supergrade maple stock and high polished, it's like art. I've never seen sun glint off a polished and blued barrel or a stock. I only have one rifle with a synthetic stock, the rest wood and sealed, no trouble with being in the rain. Although one has just an oiled stock so that one may have issues but I haven't noticed.

Although I try to take good care of all my rifles -accidents happen. I live in AZ desert where just about everything stabs, sticks, scratches, pokes or bites you. Nice finishes don't last long out here unless you absolutely baby your rifle. For me, I tend to concentrate on habitat, wind and animals when I am out hunting. Having anything nicely finished out there is just a worry that eventually becomes a distraction for me.

The old tang safety ruger 77 had the perfict wood finish and bluing to me .I used my 338 win mag for 33 years hunting .I did put a set of chaps on it to protect the wood . The old remington had a too shiny of a finish for me .I used my old ruger in good weather and bad .

I prefer something unique that nobody else has so ive gone to refinishing my own.

Attachments

• received_408331890112624.jpeg
    received_408331890112624.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot_20181231-165804.png
    Screenshot_20181231-165804.png
    798.4 KB · Views: 138
I spent the majority of my 50+ years of hunting appreciating and desiring nicely finished rifles of blue steel and walnut. It wasn't necessary for them to be exorbitantly priced custom model, as the common examples from the top makers were quite nicely finished. I too have succumbed to the synthetic stocks and bland metal finishes for utilitarian and performace purposes, but must admit, I have never thought any of them to possess any the emotion or visual appeal that the classics once did as a satisfying component of the hunting experience. Any scars they achieved in the process were part of the memories of the hunt and the added character personalized and appreciated. Very few, if any of these rifles have been sold. I haven't succumbed to the contemporary dynamic with my upland birds guns, bows, or muzzleloaders.... which fill that void quite nicely.

Attachments

• 3EA0DC6E-E924-4A8B-A045-26EFE61DF56B.jpeg
    3EA0DC6E-E924-4A8B-A045-26EFE61DF56B.jpeg
    586.3 KB · Views: 134
  • BD9462D4-DD1B-4A73-87D2-E7270BE7F4E4.jpeg
    BD9462D4-DD1B-4A73-87D2-E7270BE7F4E4.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 132
  • 9D423ACD-638E-47FD-868E-3CB86B2D13EE.jpeg
    9D423ACD-638E-47FD-868E-3CB86B2D13EE.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 128
  • F4F4C24A-05F0-4BFE-8722-693FB98ACF6B.jpeg
    F4F4C24A-05F0-4BFE-8722-693FB98ACF6B.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 152
I like nice wood and blued metal on a classic bolt action but I seldom take them out for my serious hunts. Dull fibre stocks and bead blasted metal attracts less attention in the mountains. Some of those epoxy finished stocks would shine like a mirror when the sun hit them. My problem with the rough metal finishes, particularly the blued ones, is how they retain moisture and rust almost overnight. You have to dry them and wipe them down with an oily rag every night when you get back to camp. I finally went to stainless only for extended trips but when I am hunting from home I still take out the old custom Mausers with their oil finished walnut stocks and polished blue metal. It just feels more natural.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts