How things have changed in the past 10 years.

DJ Fergus

I searched for tips & info on this forum for a long time before joining in 2015. It's funny how so much has changed. Early on there was a pile of people who was die hard nosler partition loyals. Then came the nothing but Barnes folks. Berger got popular along these times & there was constantly threads debating over the reliable pass through of the partition or Barnes vs the terminal performance of Berger's. When the bonded bullets come out, many folks went all in for those. Now a good majority of us are shooting Bergers or elds. Many more folks early on in these were running factory rifles. Lots more folks running custom rifles here now. Not near as much talk here about the 30-06 or 270 as it was. Not so long back the 6.5-284 was the new cartridge to have and it seems to be loosing ground now.
Just curious as to where were gonna be with bullets, cartridges, & rifles in another 10 years or so.

I have tried a bunch of different bullets over time. Hammers, edge TLR, Barnes, longrange accubonds, eldx, bergers, etc.

I kept telling myself that there has to be a better
constructed bullet than a berger and there are but there is always some problem with the other bullets. Bad BC, not consistent in measurements or weight from bullet to bullet. And I always end up going back to Bergers. Hammers have been the easiest to find a load and are accurate but the BC just isn't good. Bergers are easy to load for and have great BCs. I just hate the way they shrapnel but I guess I will deal with it.

The Edge TLR or now Terminal ascent is to me the best constructed bullet out there. It mushroomed perfectly on a large bull elk at 600 yards, retained its weight well and penetrated almost entirely. I just wish they would make a little heavier bullet for the 6.5mm and 7mm.

I have tried a bunch of different bullets over time. Hammers, edge TLR, Barnes, longrange accubonds, eldx, bergers, etc.

I kept telling myself that there has to be a better
constructed bullet than a berger and there are but there is always some problem with the other bullets. Bad BC, not consistent in measurements or weight from bullet to bullet. And I always end up going back to Bergers. Hammers have been the easiest to find a load and are accurate but the BC just isn't good. Bergers are easy to load for and have great BCs. I just hate the way they shrapnel but I guess I will deal with it.

The Edge TLR or now Terminal ascent is to me the best constructed bullet out there. It mushroomed perfectly on a large bull elk at 600 yards, retained its weight well and penetrated almost entirely. I just wish they would make a little heavier bullet for the 6.5mm and 7mm.

There is no one bullet for everything, so there is always something new coming out that we have to try to see if it will perform better, But eventually we often come back to something tried and true.

Fads are just that, fads. Good bullets will always prevail if we are looking for total performance at distance and different game. each bullet design has it's place based on certain qualities, but used in the wrong place and circumstance they can fail miserably.

Also different barrels like different bullets and if you the best accuracy and performance, you have to try different bullet designs/brands.

J E CUSTOM

I have never seen a bullet that did not fail at some point. Never seen a bullet that did everything equally well. You are going to see more and more mono bullets and boutique shop offerings as the market keeps growing from greenie legislation etc..

The main reasons for changed over that time period is growth. We have never had this many choices for cartridges or bullets especially at the high bc we see today. We would have been doing backflips 20yrs ago for bullet bc we thumb our noses at today.

We have not even touched optics, brakes, or suppressors etc.. look at our choices for actions.

Been cought ina few fads over the years.....some stuck and some morphed into something else.
The 6.5-284s & 6.5wsm that wouldnt hunt are now a couple of getrdone 6.5 Grendels.
The old Partition still gets it done for me but elds work great too. Bergers are fun to kill rocks with way out there. ...if the barrel likesum?

I think lazer range finders and repeatable optics have come along way as have bullets. perhaps the combining of more of these technologies will be the focus of the future. Think, lighter Burris Eliminator with better glass. Now if we could just get those bullets to reliably expand at 5 fps and not blow up at 4500, we'd really have something! LOL

Oh man 10 years from now! Anyone's guess. Mine is we will see lighter more durable scopes. I don't think in the hunting world "smart" scopes will take due to game laws. Barrels will come with a faster standard twist rate. Newer temp stable powders in more options as old favorites die out. More monolithic bullets but maybe built for better BCs not that some of our current options are bad for those only shooting out to 800 or so yards. Rifles will get lighter and the 12lb rifles will be replaced with 8lb rifles.

And above all else the 6.5 creed will still be with us! I guess maybe I should buy one someday.

I think someone will invent and develop a brake that doesn't increase noise. Maybe even one that decreases noise. Or someone will develop another way to reduce recoil so that rifle weights will be greatly reduced. And, as said above, scopes will be better and lighter.

I figure there's going to be a lot more people running suppressors in the next 5-10 years. I don't run one myself right now. Who knows I might eventually have one. Seems like it's a cumbersome process to have one but that can change.

I think someone will invent and develop a brake that doesn't increase noise. Maybe even one that decreases noise. Or someone will develop another way to reduce recoil so that rifle weights will be greatly reduced. And, as said above, scopes will be better and lighter.
Those muzzlebrakes are called Suppressors. You should try one, they work really well! 😉
Oh, they also decrease recoil quite a bit. Unless you're shooting a 50 BMG, ask how I know, as the technology grows so will the electronic technology in scopes.
Look at Trijicons new Ventus, that will soon be in scopes . Things keep getting better and better. See what Swarovski did in the ds, Bushnell, etc. Soon all you ballistics apps will be built into the scopes.
Bullets- technology for binding metals will change improving the BC's combined with gain twist barrels.

Then of course powders will improve and then primers. Look at Truvelocity with plastic casings. Accuracy and barrel wear improved from the plastic not absorbing heat like brass.

Lots of good momentum, I just hope my sugar momma keeps it up to pay for all of this stuff. MAGA

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.