Rifle build

JMss17

So I plan on building my own rifle this year and want some advice on parts. I have set a budget of around $1200 for rifle only. I have been looking around the forum on different threads and doing alot of other reading. I am thinking either .300wm or .308. I have decided on brux barrels for a barrel and a ASI stock. I really need help deciding on a action and anything else I need. Any ideas?

The ASI stock will eat over $900 of your budget not including extra mags. You may find a used one for less. The barrel will run around 250-300 the action ???

sorry the above is aics stock price

Last edited:
Your going to strugle on this one for $1200. $280 on a Brux, $350 to $450 on an action, and your stock is going to be closer to $300. That leaves between $170-$270 for a smith to put it all together. If you buy a Remington action at the right price you should have enough for a smith to do a truing cut on the reciever face, lap the lugs, thread fit and chamber the barrel. For the stock you might want to choose a B&C Medalist or an HS, bolt in or bed yourself.

Can someone direct me towards a list of vocabulary. I am still trying to learn all the terms but cannot find them on here. i.e. trued, bedded, etc.......

thanks

I think your going to have to adjust your budget if your wanting to go with a Stiller Action.

trued= square the action to the barrel

bedded= make the action fit the stock so it will not move.

for $1200 you have limited options. If it was me and that is all I am going to spend I would buy a savage of your liking with a twist that will be fast enough to send a larger projectile down range. Find a good stock B&C or something, have the rifle head spaced and bed the action and barrel to the new stock and you have a semicustom within your price range. I did this with my first build and it cost around $1000.

Savage actions don't have to be trued, the factory barrel it isn't bad and the accutrigger will do. The only thing is the stock are a little cheesy. I put a Bell and Carlson medalist on and had my smith skim bed the stock, lap the barrel and head space. It was a 12fvss 22-250 and it was deadly accurate.

Or double your budget and build a full custom with the components mentioned.

It isn't cheap to get into but it is worth it!!!

Last edited:
Doing a little more research I realized I can not afford a custom build right now. So I am thinking about adding a couple things to my current rifle making it semi custom. I know I want to get a longer and heavier barrel and probably a night force scope. Any other mod suggestions?

a new barrel:

barrel blank $300

chamber, crown, install $160

Nightforce scope: $1550

You should square the action if you are going to put a new barrel on.

Does your rifle shoot now? Just save your money until you have enough to build the rifle you want. Or buy components for the build. Alot of the components are extremely long waits. You can wait 6months to a year for a rifle build. You can have alot of cash tied up for quite awhile with nothing to show for it. But I tend to pay everything up front I hate oweing people money.

Brent

Yea, I have a shooting rifle right now. Im not sure what I am going to do yet. Maybe buy parts every now and then until I have the rifle I want.

I am guessing an action would be a good place to start. Which is better for a long range shooting, short or long range? And does different fluting on the bolts make a difference? Anything else to look for in an action?

JMss17:
My suggestion is to work with the rifle you have now (the one in your signature Remington 700sps 7mm Rem Mag)

Have a gunsmith tune the trigger to a pull weight you like. For a deer hunting rifle where shots can come quickly and be at any range from up-close-and-personal to waaaaay over there, I like 3lbs. If it's going to be more of a long range only rifle I would say go lower ~2lbs. Cost: ~$60

Get a decent stock (HS Precision or B&C Medialist). Cost $200 to $300+

Send your rifle and new stock off to a reputable gunsmith and have a new barrel installed (caliber, contour, length - that's an entire conversion by itself) and have him true-up your action and bed it into your stock. Cost ~$650

When your rifle gets back, install the bases, rings and scope (that I assume you already have) and you're done!

So add it up....

Trigger $60
Stock $300 (HS Precision)
Barrel and gunsmith work $650
Total $1010

Heck, buy a new Rem700SPS and that only add ~$500 to the project for a total of $1510 and that's only slightly over your budget and it gives you two rifles.

FYI....I talk the talk and walk the walk.....http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-a-32771/

I'll throw in a thought or two.
First off, I don't think it's possible to throw too much money at a barrel if you're serious about accuracy. This is even more true of a carry rifle than a bench gun (unless you shoot competition) since you won't have that extra meat to stiffen it up. Taylor the twist to the bullet you want to shoot and get the heaviest contour you can tolerate carrying.
Since this isn't a competition bench gun, I personally feel that any action, properly bedded, squared, tuned, lapped, will do the trick. Mostly, you have to have that work done on it!
Nightforce scopes are great. I have an NXS and it's wonderful. That said, I also have a Millett 6-25x56 with side focus that was about $250 delivered (close out sale from Jerry's) that will do the trick until you can afford, or find you need, better. I have a Sightron that's awesome too that can be found for $800.
I think any stock, pillar and glass bedded will fit the bill if you like how it feels. If you don't bed it, you're wasting money on a good one.
Last and IMHO, if you don't have what it takes to reload accurate ammo, I don't care how much you spend on the gun, you won't realize full potential accuracy. Competition dies, a really good priming tool, a good- square press, a good scale, taking the time to properly prep the brass and having the tools to prep it so you can load the most consistent ammo possible will make the high dollar gun worth the time and money. Oh, and did I mention custom building a load?

Take care, Coyoter

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.