Rifle build 6.5/06imp.vs.6.5 Gibbs

Forrest Ebert

I have a new Rem. long action that I would like to build either the 6.5/06 imp.or the 6.5 Gibbs but don't know which way to go and what would be the best twist as I will start with a 28 " tube unless I could get away with a 26". I will be using this for Long range hunting and target shooting so any info would be very much appreciated.

gun)

With the 140 match bullets most shoot a 1-9, some go with the 1-8, but with the velocity of these two I have had no trouble with the 1-9. If you go up to say a 160 grain bullet then a 1-8 will be better because it is a very long bullet. I have stabilized the 160's with a 1-9 in my 6.5/8mm rem mag but that is a lot more velocity. A 160 off the '06 case and I'm thinking 1-8.

The gibbs catch a lot of flack because of the ultra short neck and many don't like that. I have gibbs from 240 to 338 and all of them shoot very well. The Gibbs line is all you can get out of an '06 case. The '06 imp is easier to load for and the longer necks does better with the long bullets. Not a lot of difference in velocity but the gibbs is noticably faster. About with a 264 winchester. There are some 6.5 wildcats off the 280 case which gives you a little more powder capacity still but I have never tried them. The improved and gibbs reamers are easy to get and the 280 ones require an expensive custom reamer pretty much so I haven't tried them.

If I were you just starting out I would probably choose the '06 imp for several reasons I think you would be more satisfied. This is a fantastic round that is easy on the shoulder and the paycheck while giving you the ability to knock over a deer way out there.

6.5-06imp. The forming doesn't require a false shoulder, simply insert round and fire it, eject fire formed case. I use RL22 and H4831sc in the improved with 140gr pills. I went with 1:8 so I could stabilize anything I wanted and have been all in all, satisfied.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.