Ridgeline FFT 280AI (load update… Berger 168’s)

JD Jones

Took possession of the new FFT today and wanted to start a thread to communicate initial impressions and answer any questions folks might have with this new offering from CA

Packaging:
Cardboard box, foam inserts, owners manual, trial lube from Lucas, bolt removed and in its own foam cut-out. Simple packaging no issues

Initial impressions:
I was unsure of the color when I bought it. I was going off of what CA was showing on their website. I went with the black/grn/tan and when I opened the box at the FFL, I was very impressed, The new stock scheme is more of the blotchy type pattern vs the spider web in past years. The muzzle break was pre-installed and no end cap was provided. Picking the rifle up... its light. Very. The balance is nice and it shoulders well. No complaints

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bare rifle weight:
5.8#

Next post.... initial set up

22'' barrel plus the brake?
Interested in the feel of the stock and if it is plastic like and noisy on brush...
Thanks for posting
It's 22 3/4" with brake. The feel has actually got some texture from the paint. It feels like a quality carbon fiber stock

EDIT: there's no seam anywhere. I've seen stocks that might cause discomfort in the hand from that ridge/seam

jdgtexas: Congrats on the new 7 pound baby! I ordered a 280 AI as well, but in the black color. I am going to top it with a Razor LHT 4.5-22. Hoping that it'll make a good backcountry elk rifle. I'll post some pictures when it arrives.

I saw that you have some RL26 on the shelf...what is your load workup going to look like? I am going to start mine with RL23, 162 ELDM's, Nosler Brass, and probably Fed 210's to start. I'm interested to see what kind of velocity the 22" barrel will produce...

Range report 6-24-22
Temp: too hot (93-102)
Wind: south 10
Round count: 18

Started to break in my new 280AI today. 3 shots I was dialed in on elevation and windage however On the second shot bolt lift was heavy. Plunger ejector stuck. Cleared that, 3rd shot same thing. I've never had this happen but after the 3rd shot it happens once more on the 6th shot. I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) this could mean the round was hot. Maybe due to the extreme Texas heat. I know the powder is 4831sc based on our conversation a couple month back. *These are loaded rounds by hendershots* (needed brass) not my own worked up loads. My chrono was not working so I didn't get a read on velocities today. The brass had faint ejector marks.

Gun shoots well. The brake is definitely doing it's job. I think I'll bring the trigger pull down to 2#. It's not bad at all but I like it a tad lighter. to each their own. Recoil is a non issue. I was curious how it might be on such a light rifle. No concerns.

I shot off a bag on the bench so certainly not the most stable rest but in the field I don't ever have the best rest anyways it's seems

Two groups I shot @ 100
0737DA0E-5467-44C0-B01C-8D9FD736CC2F.jpeg
01D57133-B012-40FC-9D52-793C975874A7.jpeg

jdgtexas: Congrats on the new 7 pound baby! I ordered a 280 AI as well, but in the black color. I am going to top it with a Razor LHT 4.5-22. Hoping that it'll make a good backcountry elk rifle. I'll post some pictures when it arrives.

I saw that you have some RL26 on the shelf...what is your load workup going to look like? I am going to start mine with RL23, 162 ELDM's, Nosler Brass, and probably Fed 210's to start. I'm interested to see what kind of velocity the 22" barrel will produce...
I can't wait to start working loads. Good eye on the 26… fortunately I was able to come up on a nice supply. Plan to play with 4831sc and some vv565 but I expect best velocities with the 26. I am gonna work up 168 Bergers first and then maybe a mono. I have the CX to start messing with. I really want to play with some accubonds too but who knows when those will be available?

I'm using Peterson brass and I have a few primers to try but starting with some magnums