Rework loads for barrel float?

11 Charlie

I have many loads worked up for my Mark V, .300 WBY. As you know, the stock has a pressure point. The gun is a consistent sub- moa shooter, occassionally sub1/2 moa or better. I've been considering floating the barrel as I've done a bedding job on it and floating negates barrel heat problems you can get with a pressure point. Many people have done it with positive results. My question is do loads have to be completely reworked after floating, are they close or does it just depend on the gun? Thanks and God Bless!

It depends on the rifle. You are changing the harmonics of the barrel when you float a non- floated barrel, so you may have some loads not shoot well afterward (or some shoot better that were so-so). Overall, it is worth floating but I've got a couple of rifles I haven't floated because they shoot well and don't have poi changes when they heat.

Yes you will most likely have to rework the loads, everything will change with the removal of the pressure point.

Yes you will most likely have to rework the loads, everything will change with the removal of the pressure point.

That is true. BTW, back in the 80's Remington 700's were produced with the same pressure point. I had one and figgered it would shoot better free floated, so I took the rasp to it. It shot terrible after I removed the pressure point, and I had to glue a replacement in.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went to the range yesterday and it shot in the .2's so I'm leaving it as is. I had just done a trigger job on it as I couldn't adjust it below 3 lbs. It's now a 1/2 lb or so and crisp and creep free. Mark V triggers are really excellent. I let it cool between shots so barrel heat isn't a problem. As I had it apart I was tempted to float it but as the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!":D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.