Retumbo vs RL33 vs VVN570

Lonewolf74

I've been working on developing a load for my 300 win mag using the 215 Berger hybrid, so far I've used RL26 and H1000. So far I'm not real impressed with either, the RL26 had great velocity but wasn't very temp stable and I'm having trouble getting more. The H1000 isn't giving me very good velocity or SD.

I've gone up to 79 grains with both with no pressure signs and could continue to work up higher but I know 79 grains is getting up there. Both powders seem to have a node at 78 grains that I was working with, the RL26 gave me 2950 at 78 grains the H1000 gave me 2810 at 78 grains.

So now I'm thinking about trying one of these other 3 powders and want to know which you guy's would look at first and which is most stable?

Any input is appreciated.

The only thing I have used Retumbo in is my 264 Win mag. It gave me best accuracy and plenty of speed but I found that when you get close to a max load pressure can spike a lot. I went from the perfect load for my rifle 66.5 grs with 130 Accubond to 67 grs that left heavy ejector marks and stretched primer pockets that were unusable again. My rifle has a 27 3/4" 9 twist barrel and I am getting average 3350 fps and half MOA accuracy. Really shoots flat across long bean fields and results is DRT on white tail.

I use N570 in my 6.5 Sherman with 140 berger, and I have to say I used this as Retumbo speed was not there for me( great accuracy from Retumbo but a fair bit slower), and the temp stability on RL powders I am not a fan of.The N570 has given me the best all round performance and I have no POI changes from +20 c to -20C so this is a winner for me . The down side for me is that it is hard to get so when I had the chance to get 10LBS I did .
I was going to try H 1000 if the N 570 did not work out but never got that far .

The only thing I have used Retumbo in is my 264 Win mag. It gave me best accuracy and plenty of speed but I found that when you get close to a max load pressure can spike a lot. I went from the perfect load for my rifle 66.5 grs with 130 Accubond to 67 grs that left heavy ejector marks and stretched primer pockets that were unusable again. My rifle has a 27 3/4" 9 twist barrel and I am getting average 3350 fps and half MOA accuracy. Really shoots flat across long bean fields and results is DRT on white tail.

I've experienced this with Retumbo also, but the accuracy I got just prior to the pressure spike is awesome. This happened with a 30/378 Wby, 300Win Mag and a 25-06. .3-.5 gr over and boom, just under and accuracy is premium. Haven't tried the other two powders, try to use most temp stable here in Az.

Thanks for the input so far guy's.

I know I'm leaning towards Retumbo. I would love to try the N570 for the great performance and stability I've heard it has but it's expensive and would be another difficult powder to get.

26 is my go to and have been very stable for me in my 300!!! WITH same bullet!!!

I will explore further with the 26 once I get more I've had a few pounds on order for 2 months and still haven't come in.

I started working up a load with 26 in the late summer with low 70's for temps. In October with temps in the 40's I had to go up one full grain to get back in the same node and velocity.

Your H1000 velocity seems low. What is your barrel length? My 300 Win Mag with a 215 Berger and 79 gr H1000 is right at 3000 fps. Barrel is a 26" Brux.

Broz used some N-570 and H-1000 in his .300 WM and his .30 Nosler. Info about that over on LRO. Bruce

Bruce thank you for pointing me to LRO liking all the info I'm seeing on the 300 and 215 Berger combo. Problem is I tried to register and it won't let me, keeps saying my "referrer" is wrong and I don't know what to put. Got any ideas how I can get registered?

Your H1000 velocity seems low. What is your barrel length? My 300 Win Mag with a 215 Berger and 79 gr H1000 is right at 3000 fps. Barrel is a 26" Brux.

I've been thinking the same thing I would think 78 grains would be hauling. It's a 26" factory Remington 5R barrel. I didn't crono the 79 grain charge cus I was just doing a quick OCW before season, but 78 grains is consistently around 2810.

I think my chamber is on the large side, I had the action trued and chamber and throat recut to match a dummy round I made with the 215. Touching lands is at 2.930 base to ogive. However the chamber body seems big I'm using the .010 (tallest) Redding competition shell holder and that bumps the shoulder back .002-.003 from fired size. So if I understand things right my chamber is roughly. 010 oversized which may be causing lower pressures and velocity and I've been able to load at the high end with zero pressure sign?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.