Retired navy

CapeEsperance

somehow in the past 10 years i discovered the Long Range Hunting site, and have enjoyed reading the articles and discussions. I grew up shooting precision .22 long rifle events and even got a college education and one national record because of it. after 26 years of wandering the world on various ships with the Navy, i retired in 2004 and started shooting again. If you connect all of the dots, i have sailed around the world (minus panama canal or strait of magellan). I was even entrusted with command of a couple of ships and leading several hundred of our nations finest- what a blast!
I picked up a Remington 700 in .308 a few years ago and have been slowly modifying to make it shoot better. finally a reasonable .55" grouping. I have been surprised at the variables associated with this that did not exist in either .22lr or 300m precision shooting. Certainly wind, but off of a range with known distance, yikes.
My dad left me his reloading set up (RCBS RC and RC jr), which came courtesy of younger brother taking up national match shooting - he shoots better than i do, and was state champion in ISU precision and National match. I have since bought dillon 650 and a couple of SQ DB from someone in final retirement. I have only been hunting once since retirement and took a whitetail doe with one shot (Savage 10ML). My wife and i have shot in a IDP(?) match and look forward to more shooting in the future.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have fun.
absolutely had fun. left the Navy when they stopped letting me go to sea (too senior). I really miss working with people toward common goals - readiness to go into combat - and helping them become better at what they do.

Hello! My Daughter is a Navy Vet. She did her boat time as an ATC on the Nimitz
Trained a lot in Pensacola Florida?
And finished up at Whidbey Island NAS. She liked it and did very well! 6 years!
We went to watch her graduate she was the RPO carrying the cutlass and her name was in the program. Now working on her masters at Ohio State...I am proud of her

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.