Reticle Choices question

Alucard

I am thinking about getting a Nightforce scope for my new rifle project - details coming later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This will primarily be a varmint rig out to about 1200 yards. I was thinking about getting the NP-1RR. I like how this one has the quick ranging ability built right in. It also has alot of verticle hold over points. Although, it might be a bit "cluttered" in the view.

Is this a good choice for varmints and other long range targets? Why or why not. Any other suggestions in reticle choice?

Thanks for any help or info!

NPR2 or the MLR is way better. They dont feature circles for ranging. Circles suck anyway for ranging. With NPR2's or Mils, you can get a much more accurate range by using simple formulas that work for any target size and not just 9 and 18" like the NP1RR does. + if youre shooting 1200 yards, I assume youre shooting somthing flatter than the 308. The NPR2 or the MLR will match your trajectory closer than the NP1RR. Just MHO. I have used the NP1RR, the NPR2 and the Mil typ reticles on a wide variety of calibers and loads. I have no use for an NP1RR what so ever. You may be differant, but most will agree that the MLR or NPR2 will out shine the NP1RR for what youre trying to accomplish.

Regards!

Hey Drac. , I was in the same boat as you . I was planning on getting the NP-1RR , so I called Nightforce . I can't remember the guys name , but I told him I was only interested in a scope for small Varmints like Pdogs and Chucks . He recommended the NP-R2 , and then he told me that he designed the NP-1RR !!! Soooo that's what I bought ; however , I won't be using it until next Summer , so I don't have any comments on it for now .

You'll never beat a CH1 crosshair, laser ranging, & drop chart. See those knobs? Your paying for em, just use em.

One consideration is that the NP-R1 is not an Option with the Nightforce BR Scope . Does anyone know if Nightforce will switch-out Reticles in the BR Model to the NP-R1 Reticle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It is my understanding that they won't. I'm going to check on Tuesday though. Most everyone was gone to SHOT when I called and asked that ? the other day.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.