Resizing bolt action fired brass?

ALWAYS300

Good Morning,
I am new to reloading and have a question about resizing my 300 RUM brass. I have read if your firing a bolt action rifle the need to resize is not necessary due to the brass forming to fit your chamber. Some say resize the neck only, and others say FL is the way to go. Is there a need to resize, and if so, is just the neck or FL the way to go? Any info is appreciated.

I full length resize all mine. There should be multiple different opinions on this though. Its the Ford or Chevy debate.

You'll stir up a debate here, as there's adherents to both froms of sizing. Yes, if you neck size only, you'll need to full length resize at some point to assure the rounds will chamber. Call it every fourth or fifth firing, depending on how eccentric your chamber is (and they all are, to some degree), so you'll need a full length die regardless of which you choose. Those who champion the N/S only approach claim better accuracy and extended brass life. Those who prefer F/L sizing are likely more concerned about 100% functionality. Properly done, F/L sizing isn;t any harder on brass than N/S, and it does assure positive functioning. It also has no drawbacks in the accuracy department, and F/L sizing can and does result in ammo every bit as accurate as N/S only, if done properly.

Shooting a bolt gun, you've got some options here. In many action types, lever guns, autoladers, etc., you have to F/L resize, or you'll have serious functioning problems.

I'd strongly recommend the F/L approach, but there's others who'll differ with that opinion.

Let the debate begin.

Kevin makes a strong point & I have to agree for the most part. I actually do both, my big game rifles are FL sized to ensure reliability in the field & my varmint/target rigs mostly see NK sizing.... as to accuracy?? Well in my experience--- my big game rifles all see hunting bullets (Barnes) & group in the .5-.7's. My varmint rigs see match bullets mostly (Sierra) & group in the .3-.5's so is there an advantage? Not in my experince... just the way I started doing it when I began reloading; if it ain't broke, fix it till it is!!! lol

From the sound of it I think I'm trying to over think it. I will stick with my FL die and go to work. Thank you for your advice. It is much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.