resizing new brass?

airstream

I had to settle for 100 rem brass for the 260 while the world waits for quality brass from lapua. All my reloading ex comes from once fired brass from my youth that I saved. How impotant is it to resize new brass ?

You shouldn't need a full length sizing on new brass, but it's always good practice to run them through a neck die or at least over a mandrel. It rounds out the case necks, if there are any dents or dings present (even minor ones that you may not really notice) and helps to assure uniform neck tension. Yeah, this even applies to our brass. You shouldn't need to trim, but it's always worth checking, and doing so will again help with the uniformity issue. You will probably want to deburr and chamfer, and will have to do so if you've trimmed.

I had to settle for 100 rem brass for the 260 while the world waits for quality brass from lapua. All my reloading ex comes from once fired brass from my youth that I saved. How impotant is it to resize new brass ?

Lapua makes 308 brass and I use it for a 7/08, and it will work for the 260 if you turn the necks
slightly.

It seams to last for ever.

Just a thought.

J E CUSTOM

Question: I have always just resized the whole case, do I need a special die to only resize the neck? And also if I am shooting the cases out of only one gun should I just be resizing the neck anyhow.

I will not be necking up or down, but will make do with rem untill lapua is avalible

My last bag of Rem 260 brass was suprisingly good. All I did was run them through a full length sizing die, full brass prep, including turning the necks. This was using plain jane RCBS dies. It made very concentric ammo, with most of the loads having less than .02 run-out.

I can't speak for the brass life, as they only have 2 firings so far, but they seem to be holding up well, granted I'm not running a super hot load.

I can't wait for the Lapua to be available, but the Rem brass has been very good as of late. For the money and my purposes (strictly hunting) it produces very accurate ammo.

Airstream,

To properly neck size, yes, it does call for a separate die. Personally, I strongly advise against neck sizing as a regular practice, even if you're using it in the same die. Full length will do just fine on new brass (and you should,'t feel much resistance at all) but the main point is just to make sure you're rounding out the necks and uniforming the neck tension. F/L sizing will accomplish that. You might want to look into a headspace gage, such as the Wilson, an RCBS Precision Mic or a Redding Instant Indicator so you're not sizing the brass any more than you need to. That's the real key to living happily ever after with full length sizing; not overworking the brass, and not bumping the shoulder more than needed to allow free chambering.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.