Researchers Find Forever Chemicals in Wildlife near Holloman AFB, NM

@Varmint Hunter
That's interesting. Your anecdote goes to the point of the issue. Little by little our wild game becomes riskier to consume. A lot of fishing areas now suggest you don't eat the fish or limit your intake due to mercury poisoning. And I'm getting concerned that CWD in deer & elk may pose a hazard to humans but we just haven't got enough data to see it yet. Hopefully not. But it's all troublesome when you consider the big picture.

I try to not let this get to me. Hunt, fish, & eat what you harvest and ignore the doom and gloom. You'll probably live a long life regardless...right?
My take on the CWD is that the wildlife agencies have been using this disease as an excuse to lower deer populations in certain areas. Places of super high deer densities where people can't or won't lower the populations.
Many city people don't want their deer hunted or shot....even if starving. So a disease that is "really bad" that could cross over to humans....through grass that cows eat even... will get city people to give the go ahead to have the population reduced so it doesn't spread.
Here is where one state may have been caught. Why would you want to declare CWD in an area unless you were 100% positive........

Holloman AFB had the F117 Stealth Fighters assigned there. The F117 was proved in and flown around Area 51 in Nevada for years. Remember several years ago a bunch of Area 51 workers sued the Defense Department for health issues caused from a bunch of chemical fires at Area 51? I wonder if there is a connection between the adhesives and coatings used in modern airplanes with stealth features. This article mentions Cesium and Cesium was used fuel of Lockheed Skunk Works planes to reduce exhaust radar signatures.

I didn't realize how many things had PFAS in them. I thought it was just firefighting foam. Nope. Here are other common places you'll find them:
  • *Cleaning products.
  • *Water-resistant fabrics, such as rain jackets, umbrellas and tents.
  • *Grease-resistant paper.
  • *Nonstick cookware.
  • *Personal care products, like shampoo, dental floss, nail polish, and eye makeup.
  • *Stain-resistant coatings used on carpets, upholstery, and other fabrics.

At some point this world will puke us up and start over. Until then, we either stop doing the crazy $#]¥ or wait to be cast aside.

At some point, some researcher or institution has said just about everything is bad for us, including clean air.

So, do we sit around and wait for everything to kill us or do just get on with living and try to make an impact going forward.

Considering how long the world has been around, how many different creatures have inhabited it, then been cast aside for a new group to replace them, we've only had a tiny effect on the earth. Regardless of what the talking heads tell you, we've not had no more a demonstrative effect than any other group or time period, these cycles happened long before Henry Ford or David Buick came along and they will continue to happen long after earth has reclaimed the surface.

Forever chemicals, avian covid, it's all a distraction and sadly, it's working.

IMG_3726.jpeg

@Darryle
I feel much the same. What caught my attention was the fact that these chemicals are "forever" (can't filter them out or otherwise remove them) & they are in the water which we can't live without.

Man pollutes a lot but most of it is harmless in the big scheme of things. But water is pretty much the one thing we can't live without. We have a finite amount that is available and drinkable. The fish we like to eat swim in it. The birds we like to hunt float on it and eat from it.

When we can't eat or drink anything without getting more of these chemicals in our system, it feels like we've crossed a dangerous threshold.

Can we live without PFAS? Yes.
Can we live with PFAS? Yes. But at what concentration? For how long? How much worse is it for the kids & grandkids than us old folks due to greater concentrations in their little bodies? It kind of freaks me out a little.

But I can't fix it or change it. So I live with it, as do we all.

But isn't it weird to think that snow goose we killed on our very clean, PFAS-FREE pond or lake will still give us a fresh dose of PFAS because of where it was last week? I hate that.

I guess it caught me off-guard to read that the "healthy" wild game we enjoy could be filling my body w/chemicals that will never dissipate and have consequences to my health. It's depressing.
The perks of being apex predators…bioamplification I think they call that.

Same reason you never eat polar bear liver, being the apex predator and a pure carnivore the amount of vitamin a in its liver could actually kill you if you ate it.

Wow...that's wild. I didn't know that. Good info @Calvin45
Not laughing at you, laughing at the absurdity of the fact that I know polar bears have toxic livers but can't remember where I put my keys or when my doctors appointments are. My brain seems VERY selective about the information it retains, and it's not generally the useful stuff or relevant to my every day life haha

When we can't eat or drink anything without getting more of these chemicals in our system, it feels like we've crossed a dangerous threshold.

@Frog4aday

I'd wager good money these chemicals already exist in our bodies and probably have for quite some time.

Go look at the correlation of ADHD, Parkinson's and dementia with the medications and chemicals we knowingly exposed ourselves and our children to

But things like this are a good reminder that "wild" doesn't automatically mean "pure" or "natural". That used to always annoy my dad enough that he'd actually argue with people about it (and he's not an argumentative man), but all the other old guys in church claiming that because it was WILD meat the elk and deer and moose around here were for sure more natural, safer to eat than beef cuz "you don't know what they've done to it", organic, etc….

But the thing is all of those animals in this neck of the woods walk around eating whatever they want whenever it suits them, and they don't know that a field has been recently sprayed with herbicides, fungicides, or pesticides and theres no practical way to keep them from eating from said fields. Whereas our cattle were carefully prevented from eating anything like that, pasture grazing in the summer and in winter fed with hay that had NOT been sprayed with chemicals anytime remotely close to when they'd bale it up, if at all. So my dad would argue that sure, once they got
To the big feedlots yes maybe some questionable things are done, but the beef we ate in our house was more NATURAL than ANY wild game around here, it almost certainly had to be.

Nobody was ever really able to counter that argument because it's obviously true if you stop and think for a minute

No one ever knew it was there, until they started testing for it--- kinda like covid, and bpa, you know that the bags that hold dog/pet food are loaded with cancer causing agents, lead in paint, asbestos In insulation, formaldehyde in plywood.....we could go on and on.
Knew a guy from back when I pastored who was in his 70s and honestly looked much older. Had to wheel around a little oxygen tank with him everywhere and had a line running from it under his nose so he could constantly be breathing more oxygenated air than normal as he wasn't able to get enough out of ordinary air. The culprit was a lifetime of being around asbestos - he was a plumber/all purpose handyman and back in the day was one of the few guys around here with his boiler paper certification or whatever it is, so he worked with asbestos including applying it to pipes and stuff like that for his whole working life. It likely shaved a decade, maybe two, off of his life. Apparently what it does is binds up the red blood cells in such a way that they can't carry oxygen effectively.

But that's a lot different than being exposed to it once when renovating an old building and panicking that you're gonna die now.

Recent Posts