TSS in 28 gauge

quigley257

Many of the spots that we hunt pheasant are GPAs and WMAs and require the use of nontoxic shot. I'm looking to load some TSS for use in my 28 gauge Tristar Viper G2 for pheasant hunting. The performance specs of TSS are just mind blowing compared to all other types of shot. Spendy, yes, but the juice seems worth the squeeze. For the relatively small number of rounds that I fire while pheasant hunting, it makes sense to make them count. There are several videos out there of people duplexing the TSS with steel and that seems a viable option for keeping the cost down as well as making it easier to fill the hull for proper crimping. Let me know if you have personal experience loading TSS in the sub-gauges. Thanks!!

This seemed like the best forum to get relative info from, but I will cross post this in upland for those that don't chase waterfowl.

Many of the spots that we hunt pheasant are GPAs and WMAs and require the use of nontoxic shot. I'm looking to load some TSS for use in my 28 gauge Tristar Viper G2 for pheasant hunting. The performance specs of TSS are just mind blowing compared to all other types of shot. Spendy, yes, but the juice seems worth the squeeze. For the relatively small number of rounds that I fire while pheasant hunting, it makes sense to make them count. There are several videos out there of people duplexing the TSS with steel and that seems a viable option for keeping the cost down as well as making it easier to fill the hull for proper crimping. Let me know if you have personal experience loading TSS in the sub-gauges. Thanks!!

This seemed like the best forum to get relative info from, but I will cross post this in upland for those that don't chase waterfowl.
I load tss ammo for my 28ga over under, for ducks and pheasant ,it hammers them I shoot a mod and improved mod chokes

3/5oz 28ga and 1/2oz 410 TSS 9 1/2s in the little Yildiz G2 Vipers.

IMG_2748.jpeg
IMG_2743.jpeg
IMG_2750.jpeg

IMG_2752.jpeg

As a post season follow-up, I will say that I am absolutely sold on TSS shot. We hunt a lot of areas here in South Dakota that are nontoxic shot only. I decided to try some of the 12ga Federal Black Cloud TSS/Steel duplex loads with #9 TSS and #3 steel to test out the claims of TSS shot. I was a bit skeptical and hesitant to pay over $3 per shell but the results were astounding. Opening weekend of pheasant season I killed every single rooster that I shot at. I shot 7 roosters on Saturday and 5 on Sunday. I didn't lose a single bird. No cripples except for other party members who were shooting steel shot. I have never before experienced such clean kills on pheasants. Just absolutely wet rag dead every time. I had such great luck and enjoyment shooting my Tristar Viper G2 28 gauge for doves this past year that I really want to carry it for pheasants next year. I'm a believer. TSS shot turns the sub-gauges into legitimate long range "big game" shotguns... without the weight or recoil of the hyper velocity 3" and 3-1/2" 12 gauge loads that are typically used for waterfowl and pheasants. I'll be looking for a suitable 28 gauge load for pheasants before 2024 season. It really is amazing stuff!

Darryle, would you mind sharing your data? Which hulls and wads are you using? I've heard the Vipers can be picky with the Euro hulls.

quigley257, I'm thinking of getting a 410 tristar for spring turkey and of course I will be using TSS. A bit off your load topic but how do you like that gun and has it been reliable for you?
Sorry about a slight derailment.

No worries. I've been shooting factory AA loads in the Viper as well as my own AA handloads for doves. It has been 100% reliable with no malfunctions from the first time I loaded a shell into it. The gun itself fits me well and I shoot it well. My hit percentage on doves this past season was on par with my tried and true 1-1/8 ounce 12 gauge load while only shooting 3/4 once loads in the 28ga. I have zero hesitation recommending the Tristar autoloading shotguns to anyone looking for that type of setup. My experience with them has been nothing but positive. On a side note, my 12 gauge is a Girsan MC312, which is a Benelli clone made in Turkey. It is one of the most reliable autos that I have used. Using the inertia recoil system, they can handle lightweight 1oz dove loads up through the largest 3-1/2" turkey loads with complete reliability. All at a price point that is 1/5 the cost of a similar Benelli. I'm told that the parts are even interchangeable although I haven't needed to try that. If I recall, I picked up my MC312 for right around $320 shipped.