Replacing a barrel?

Dstevens

Somebody said something about changing the barrel on a rifle every so often? I'm looking at buying a .300 Win Mag for my up coming 16th birthday. I really only hunt i don't shoot rifles except sighting in and at game. I have my grandpas .270 its getting to the point where we need to retire it. So how often would I need to put a new barrel on the rifle?

Thanks!gun)

Why do you need to retire it? The time to replace a barrel is when accuracy has degraded to a point you are no longer comfortable with it.

For a hunting rifle you should be able to get a good 1500+ rounds out of a .270, typically.

It's a pre 64 model 70 Winchester. In the condition it's in currently it's appraised at $5,000 the finish is comming of and it seems like every time we take it out it has a new din or scratch. I want to keep it in the condition it is in right now.:D

Thanks for the info on the barrel!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.