Remington SPS Problem

Blind Man

Hello all, Merry Christmas.

So I got a brand new 700 SPS Varmint from Santa today. Got it all decked out with B&C stock and Zeiss glass and then tried to cycle some rounds through it and I have vertical deep scratches from shoulder to the base of the brass. I found that the feed rails on both sides underneath are really sharp and fed the brass through and watched as the scratches were made. My question is, should I try to polish the rails on both sides and see if I can fix it myself or just send the rifle back to Remington? Will I void the warranty by trying to smooth them off do you think?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

If you feel comfortable enough and think that the edges aren't so bad that polishing will do the trick then you can. I myself am not very "technically inclined" for that kind of stuff. I can figure out the problems with my guns but I have to have someone "fix" it for me.

You have three options:

Fix it yourself if you think you are able.

Send it to a good gunsmith and let him fix it. (What I would do)

Send it back to Remington and let them fix it.

Fixing it myself would be my last option haha. With my luck, I would go to polish the ramp and the barrel would bend and break off.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.