Remington Sendero Stock

Jtomlinson

I am new to long range shooting as a discipline and am still running in the barrel of my .300 Win Sendero SFII, bought just 6 weeks ago.

I am left handed but manage to shoot this rifle without any problem, especially from the prone position.

I have found the palm swell to be a little on the large side, infact this is my only real kick against this rifle.

Of the many reviews of custom rifles I have read of and featured rifles I have seen set up for LRH, they all seem to sport a MacMillan stock of some form or other.

What, if anything, would be the advantage to making a swap to such a stock? I am none too familiar with the Macmillan range and do not know indeed if a stock that was sympathetic to a L/h using a R/h Sendero even exists.

Is the standard Sendero stock acceptable for LRH or is a swap to some form of McMillan stock almost inevitable, if so which type is conducive to being used by a left hander, in that I mean that does not have a roll over cheek piece or some other features that are designed solely for a right hander.

Sorry if the question seems a "no brainer" but as they say if You don't ask, you dont get to know.

600NITRO,

Welcome to the fun side of hunting.

If "running in" means breaking in, it may be a bit premature to be concerned with a different stock.

Your Question: What, if anything, would be the advantage to making a swap to such a stock? I am none too familiar with the Macmillan range and do not know indeed if a stock that was sympathetic to a L/h using a R/h Sendero even exists.

Just my thinking:
1) Much niftier
2) Large WOW factor
3) A square butt stock (bottom parallel w/bore) is a big plus.
4) Flat forend rides sand bags better. (But who hunts with a pedestal rest?)
5) Feels good (Kind of like dancing with the right woman)
6) Will most probably provide more long range consistency due to the specific design.

Having said the above, if your current configuration has only the complaint you mentioned, you may well not gain anything.....

Get your groups small, the 300 Win cartridge is capable of very samll groups. Get your extreme velocity spread very low say in the teens or better, your standard deviation of velocity down towards the single digits, then if the rifle just isn't comfortable to you (like being married to the wrong woman) consider upgrading the stock.

I also am a lefty shooting both left handed and right handed actions. I'd much rather shoot a right hand action left handed than I would a left hand action left handed.

I shoot everything single shot, in bolt actions, and the non-trigger hand is free to reload with the RH action whereas the trigger hand has to do the work with the LF action. You may notice many 1K bench shooters use LH bolt and LH port when shooting right handed. The opposite is great for left handed people for the same reasons.

Good luck and have fun....

Just my thoughts.

Good luck and have fun....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.