Remington reputation

With what I have seen most of the barrel problems lie within the cheaper models. I have seen tons of sendero's and vssf's and all had excellent barrels and shot amazing. As for the trigger: Throw it away! My personal sendero sfII has gone off in cold weather. By a jewel and don't look back! Best $200.00 spent on the rifle.

NO! Beware this trigger! WHen it gets cold this trigger can fire upon closing the bolt. It is not the same trigger and there are no good aftermarket triggers that will fit as of yet. Your stuck with it unless you like Rifle basix.

I do, however, like the allen screws replacing the slot screws. But that is the only improvement.

Thanks for the heads up goodgrouper.

JD338

NO! Beware this trigger! WHen it gets cold this trigger can fire upon closing the bolt. It is not the same trigger and there are no good aftermarket triggers that will fit as of yet. Your stuck with it unless you like Rifle basix.

I do, however, like the allen screws replacing the slot screws. But that is the only improvement.

I agree the hex head bottom metal screws are a vast improvement.
The sheer volume of tupperware I think does nothing to enhance the reputation, but I guess like everyone they have to have a cheap line as well as a upper qulauity stock to offer.

To date I have built 67 custom rifles based on the "new trigger" model equipped 700s and have Jewel trigger fit into them perfectly with no issue, am I missing something?

Their new trigger design will turn down to a lower poundage than the older models would without respringing them, but I hate the angle of the spring and the fact that it is just sitting on a tiny dimple rather than in a blind hole strictly for an assembly reason.

Current Remington Quality

First, let me say I currently own 29 Remingtons. I work on them professionally almost daily. The problems with Remingtons stem from several reason in my opinion.

The managment at Remington is an arogent bunch of MBA, CPAs, JDs and PEs. The engineers by in large are not shooters. The company has been run for the last 20 years with the lawyers and bean counters in control. The management in Madison is more interested in the Greensboro country club and the golf course than the shooter. The rifles they have sold have been on the reputations and coattails of their former product line. The quality has not kept up with the technology. the Model 700 clones are only slightly more expensive and don't require fixing the problems with the factory actions. The quality of barrels, action machining, and the triggers have all been degraded from the products of 20+ years ago.

Remington has even failed at the making of a working mans gun. The 788 was abandoned. The 710 and 770 were screwball ideas from the get go. The 798 and 799 metal and wood fit are so poorly fitted that the trigger assembly is openly visable.

Savage, and Mossberg, have advanced in the working mans centerfire market with a better mouse trap. In the last 5 years Savage has improved the quality, engineering and marketing of their centerfire rifles. For an out of the box centerfire the Savage will generally out shoot the Remington. Remington could really use a Ron Colburn at their helm. I hate what I am saying but it is in my opinion the truth.

The actions are not true, the bolts are not true or timed correctly, the barrels have chambers twith too much TIR, the necks and throats are not reamed in alignment with the bore. The barrels have way too many tool marks and distortions in them. many times the crowns are cut off center. Again in my opinion there are not legitement excuses other than management and Quality control. Maybe just maybe their new owners will rectify some of the problems. But so far they have not cleaned house which they needed to do. I hope their new ARs will not be of the shotty quality of the of late model 700s.
Rustystud

Rustystud,

Their new AR is a Bushmaster. Since they own bushmaster it makes sense to put one out with their name on it. The new owners (investment company) is looking to buy up a bunch of gun companies. They have a few already. I dont know that an investment company always looks for quality improvements. Most of the time they look to cut costs, drive up sales, improve the bottom line and then sell the compay for a profit. Time will tell.

I have had great luck with Remington. I like their quality and I have had a lot of fun with their products. I hope the quality only goes up but I am not sure that will happen.

2382837189_0ff0745bf4_m.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts