Remington Model Seven Custom Build

I have a newer 7 in .308 with a threaded 16" barrel in a McMillan KS stock that I got a deal on. I keep thinking about switching the barrel out, but it is simply exceptional as a handy, compact deer rifle as it is.
Perhaps having the barrel bored out and rechambered to .338 federal would add some oomph for Elk. Recoil in .308 is just fine for me

Go for the Ackley, I've been a big fan of the 257 IMP for about 40 years now, in fact I own 3 a rebored Browning sako safari grade a rebored ruger num 1A and the third which has been my go to rifle Since 92 is the model 7, Its nowhere near its original form but the heart is the model 7, it wears a pacnor light weight contour barrel finished at 21in, fitted to a brown precision pounder stock, equipped with a Leopold 3x9 compact, loaded with sling it tips the scales at 6 lbs even. im on my third barrel now, it will put 115 gr nosler b/t or partition in the same group, with VN 560 it will hold 6 tenths at 3000fps, ramshot hunter and the Barnes 115 gr tsx the group is only slightly larger but 100 fps faster, I did lengthen the mag box to 3 inches it can be done with a little careful mill work, I've used this rifle on everything from jackets rabbits to kudu, my 338 was intended to deal with the likes of kudu but its the rifle I had in hand when the shot presented itself, as for that other rifle I'd look real hard at the ruger 338 RCM.

I have a newer 7 in .308 with a threaded 16" barrel in a McMillan KS stock that I got a deal on. I keep thinking about switching the barrel out, but it is simply exceptional as a handy, compact deer rifle as it is.
Perhaps having the barrel bored out and rechambered to .338 federal would add some oomph for Elk. Recoil in .308 is just fine for me
338 is a great bullet but a 20 or 22 inch barrel would be better. I have two 338-06 rifles with 22 inch barrels and with a 180 grain AccuBond and 55 grains of R15 they are a super rifle and accurate too. A 338 Federal using the same bullet would be great. Maybe you could find a used 30 caliber barrel in very good condition on eBay for about $100 and have it bored to 338 5 grouve by JES Reboring for $175. It cost me about $400 in total to do the same project in 2019. Using your original barrel the re-bore would cost about $300 if you have to pay a gunsmith to take the barrel off and put it back on. Call Jess and talk to him before you start the project to make sure he can do the re-bore.

Last edited: