Remington Model 660 Stock Fitment / Build

Muley Buck

I have a Remington model 660 blued chambered in .308 Win sitting in a walnut stock. I am toying with the idea of doing a low budget new or used synthetic stock swap and rebarrel. My question is will any model 700 stock fit this action? I would like to have a detachable magazine setup as well. As far as barrel, I'll probably look for a new or used (but not shot out) steel barrel chambered in 6.5 creedmoor with an 8 twist. Not set on contour yet, I suppose the stock will determine how heavy I can go. I appreciate any insight you guys may have for me. Thanx!

I can check when I get home tonight, (I have a 700 SA stock sitting there and a Rem 600 in the safe The 600 and 660 should be the same action.) But I'm pretty sure the answer is no......I built a youth stock for the 600 and if I remember correctly, the action screw spacing is off by quite a bit..... I did look at modifying a 700 bottom metal and gave up rather quickly and bought the metal After market one made for the 600. I'll try post some pictures tonight so you can see differences. The barrel threads should be the same and a lot of people change out that "scope holder" lug for a standard 700 when re-barreling.
That should make a dandy little rifle....Mine is 243, and one of these years I'd like to change it to a 6.5x47.

I can check when I get home tonight, (I have a 700 SA stock sitting there and a Rem 600 in the safe The 600 and 660 should be the same action.) But I'm pretty sure the answer is no......I built a youth stock for the 600 and if I remember correctly, the action screw spacing is off by quite a bit..... I did look at modifying a 700 bottom metal and gave up rather quickly and bought the metal After market one made for the 600. I'll try post some pictures tonight so you can see differences. The barrel threads should be the same and a lot of people change out that "scope holder" lug for a standard 700 when re-barreling.
That should make a dandy little rifle....Mine is 243, and one of these years I'd like to change it to a 6.5x47.
Very nice, thank you. Yeah, I need a little help wrapping my mind around all of the 700 and 600/660 fitment parameters. The more I dive into it the more I learn and understand though. Thank you for having both to check for me. As this 660 the only Remington I own.

In the pictures, the gray action is a 700 SA.....You can see the whole spacing is about 1" longer. The composite stock is a 700 SA stock, with the action in the recoil lug. If you slide it to the back hole the lug about lines up with the front action hole.....I suppose you could, cut a new lug hole, and fill in where the new action bolt would be but I don't think it would be the best plan.....I also showed a 700 bottom metal up to the 600 action so you can see what you'd be up against there. I think you are kinda stuck with the existing bottom metal, or plastic if original.......I sold the Ramline stock off this one on (E)Bay, and I still see them pop up there from time to time. Hope that helps, let me know if I can do anything else.
20200106_170025.jpg
20200106_170315.jpg
20200106_170337.jpg
20200106_170340.jpg
20200106_165930.jpg

Ok, I see exactly what you mean. Excellent pictures, it provides a great perspective to help me understand this. Thanx for taking the time to do that.

In my limited research in this so far I did come across one or two of those Ramline stocks. I thought that would fit the rifle and the budget nicely. Downside is, at least what I gathered was that they are now discontinued. I figured I may keep on the look out for another to pop up then. Do you happen to remember how big or small the barrel channel is on one of those?

I don't remember.....Best I could do is measure my factory barrel, it would be at least close. I don't remember it being really gappy on the barrel channel. Would that help you?

Another option for you, if you are a DIY, and a little bit handy with epoxy......see the attached link, I've almost bought from this guy before to make a lefty stock but I ended up going with wood. He says this one could be fitted to a 600/660. Might pay to contact him, he may do the work as well.....Either way Good Luck! I wouldn't mind picking up another 600 or 660 action some day, that dog leg bolt kinda grew on me.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/850241253

Or I should have said, one of the other rifles listed on that gun broker add, might be a more reasonable candidate for modification to fit a 600.....?That vendor could probably answer that question for you?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.