McMillan Fitment Issues

Lovellr653

Alright folks, this is my first time using McMillan stocks. I had ordered it back in January for my terminus Kratos and 22" Carbon6 magnum contour barrel. I just received the stock today and was super excited until I ran into issues. The Kratos has a 0.250" recoil lug but the stock has a lug inlet of 0.365" making for a lot of movement. The second issue is the barrel channel is too narrow for my barrel contour. From the receiver out to about the last 3" of the stock I can just get a piece of paper to move but the last 3" the barrel is pressed right into the stock. Are issues like this normal for a custom stock? I know epoxy bedding the action and sanding the barrel inlet could fix the isssues but after paying 1000$ and waiting 5 months it seems p*** poor. I've not had these issue with other stocks I've used though my sample size is small (3). I have an email out to McMillan but wanted to get the 0.02$ from you all that have more experience than I.
IMG_5137.jpeg
IMG_5132.jpeg

Did you tell them the correct barrel diameter?

As for recoil lug cut out, the only important relationship is where the back of the lug is with respect to the cutout when the mounting screw holes in the stock are centered on the holes on the receiver.

Yes, I called in my order and we went over the spec sheet together which included barrel length and contour. The guy I spoke with said they were very familiar with the barrel manufacturer so there wouldn't be a need to send in barrel dimensions showing the taper.

Good point about the lug, not sure I know how to check that spacing. Open to suggestions.

Honestly, there is no such thing as a drop in.....most "maybe not all" require some inlet work. Besides the pillars McM uses are junk IMO.

Honestly, there is no such thing as a drop in.....most "maybe not all" require some inlet work. Besides the pillars McM uses are junk IMO.
What makes them junk? My Hawkins bottom metal came with pillars so I can swap them out if I find they aren't adequate.

The lug gets bedded so yes a little more filler but no big deal in my mind. The barrel channel is an absolute no go for me. Not even close to correct especially if you spoke to them. AG, Manners and Lone peak I have personal experience, although limited too, were all perfect and needed no mill work. Oh, Allterra too was perfect. Twice.

I'd send it back for refund. Look somewhere else.

Last edited:
I've not had these issue with other stocks I've used though my sample size is small (3). I have an email out to McMillan

McMillan should have been your first call in order to resolve this issue of barrel contour. McMillan doesn't even provide inletting services anymore, they contract it out to another supplier. Given the rapidly increasing number of carbon fiber barrels being produced in the U.S., the contractor may be the one making the mistake.

Inlets are usually completed using CNC work centers. These have a memory source which contains all the programs and subroutines necessary to fulfill the required work. They select from the list of contours and make sure the right tools are loaded in the tool changer. But, given the potential for thicker or thinner carbon fiber, inaccurate original barrel turning relief for that CF, lack of control exercised over the contour dimensions, the possibility of error grows. Even more likely is that the wrong program was selected accidentally for your contour. High speed manufacturing is unforgiving where program selections are concerned.

Wait for McMillan to answer.

:)

McMillan should have been your first call in order to resolve this issue of barrel contour. McMillan doesn't even provide inletting services anymore, they contract it out to another supplier. Given the rapidly increasing number of carbon fiber barrels being produced in the U.S., the contractor may be the one making the mistake.

Inlets are usually completed using CNC work centers. These have a memory source which contains all the programs and subroutines necessary to fulfill the required work. They select from the list of contours and make sure the right tools are loaded in the tool changer. But, given the potential for thicker or thinner carbon fiber, inaccurate original barrel turning relief for that CF, lack of control exercised over the contour dimensions, the possibility of error grows. Even more likely is that the wrong program was selected accidentally for your contour. High speed manufacturing is unforgiving where program selections are concerned.

Wait for McMillan to answer.

:)
That's good insight, thank you. The customer service while ordering was top notch so I suspect I'll hear from them today. If not I'll give them a buzz. I'm confident they will make it right.

I reached out to you all for a check and balance since I'm not too familiar with these issues. It's definitely sounding like it's incorrect inletting like I originally suspected.

McMillan is going to take the stock back and make required alterations in house. Unfortunately it's a 4-8 week lead time once they receive the stock. Pretty **** frustrating considering I just waited 5 months to get the thing. If the lead time for a manners wasn't so long I'd consider just getting an EH1. This bs is taking out all of my excitement for the project.

Recent Posts