Remington LSS Stock - Ques. About Recoil Pad

rudyortiz

I recently purchased a 338 RUM in Remington's LSS stock. As you know, the recoil pad that comes with these and most rifles are not great. I want to replace it with a Kick-eez or some other recoil pad.

When I removed the existing pad, which was glued on as well as screwed in, I found there is a metal plate on the butt of the stock. The metal plate is partially sunk into the laminated stock with the center cut out about 2.5 X 3/4" inches or so. About a 1/16 of an inch of the metal plate sticks out above the stock. The entire thickness of the metal plate is about 1/4". Does anyone have any idea what the plate is for?

I spoke to someone at Remington Corp. and they "think" it's a re-enforcing plate for the laminated stock which makes no sense to me. Does anyone know for sure what the plate is for? Because the plate sticks out slightly above the butt of the stock, I don't think I will be able to put the recoil pad on top of it.

Any intelligence you can provide me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Rudy:confused:

I can't help with the plate, but it does sound like something Remington would do to reinforce the stock. I have an LSS (5 years old) in 7mm, and put a Limbsaver pad on that works great (#10112). Mine original pad was glued on so bad I wound up taking it to a smith, and he soaked it in solvent for a day. The Limbsaver pad has a plastic base, so I imagine you could just grind out a small section to match the protruding plate.

Recoil Pad on Rem. LSS

Thanks for the info. I took it to a gunsmith and he stated the plate was actually part of the recoil pad. What I was seeing was VERY different then anything I'd ever seen before in recoil pads.

I initially asked him to put on a Kick-Eez which I have on many of my hard-kicking rifles but he is really sold on Limb Savers and has them on his own 338. I'll give it a try and see.

Regards,
Rudy

You should be happy with the Limbsaver recoil pad. My Remington came with their R3 pad which is Limbsaver. I was a Pacmayer Decelarater man before and Limbsaver to me is better on recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.