Pneumatic recoil pad

ctrout

I recently purchased a shotgun that had a pneumatic recoil system installed. It is similar to a Hart R.A.D. This thing reduces the recoil of my 12ga O/U to a level that is just amazing to me. I have found that this type of device is somewhat common for clays shooters who put large volumes of ammo through their shotguns. Has anyone ever tried to fit one to a heavy recoiling rifle? If so, what were your impressions? Would it be worth the high cost in comparison to something like a Limb Saver? I am about to finish my 338/300 Ultramag build as soon as my custom stock arrives and I want to shoot comfortably.

I've got one of those on one shotgun (Like a G Squared), and the oil filled one (Shooters Emporium) on another. I think the big reason you don't see them on the larger rifles is the movement of the rifle might put the scope into the shooter. I know they only move 1/2"-3/4" , but how many guys have been hit by the scope without one of them on the gun? Technically it doesn't reduce the recoil, it spreads the force out over a longer period of time so it seems less. They DO work tho! I've shot in excess of 500 rounds in a day of 1 3/8 oz. #6's going 1380 fps from a 9# O/U.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.