Remington Long Range VS Police model

d eggers

Question to those more knowledgeable than I. I'm looking at both the Remington long range and the police model 700 in 300wm. Was wondering if the additional $200 or so is worth it for the HS stock and the 40X trigger on the police model? Will probably shoot the rifle for a while before sending it in for a makeover with LRI.

Thanks for the help.

I'd save the $200 and drop in a better aftermarket trigger, if you feel you need. Everything else upgrade down the road.

I have a Remington model 700 classic in the 300 win mag and I will tell you from personal experience save the $200. This gun is an amazing shooter. It is very accurate and is really forgiving in the recoil.

I have the long range in 300 rum and I really like it I put a Jewell I had in it and it shoots great.

I got a R700 LR in 300WM and a R700P in .308. The .308 is a one-hole group gun all day long.

The 300WM LR has a very tight chamber. I spoke with a local gun store, and one of the guys stated that they are getting comments from a lot of customers that they are having difficulty ejecting spent brass. I have to use a mallet after the 2nd shot to get the brass out. The guys said that all I have to do is call Remington, get a service authorization, and they will polish the chamber. I don't see this as a major issue, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

The 300WM LR is an accurate gun. I used the Remington Core Lokt bullets for sight in, and had a ragged one hole group. I haven't had time to use a more accurate round yet.

Thanks for the imput. I've shot a Model 700 SS ADL in .300 WM for decades, and love it ( other than the factory plastic stock), it's my go to elk rifle. I've just got the itch for a new rifle and am torn between the Police and the LR. The trigger is probably secondary to the stock, is there $200 difference between the HS Precision on the Police model and the BC on the LR model? I guess that's the main thing I'd like to know.

Thanks for the imput. I've shot a Model 700 SS ADL in .300 WM for decades, and love it ( other than the factory plastic stock), it's my go to elk rifle. I've just got the itch for a new rifle and am torn between the Police and the LR. The trigger is probably secondary to the stock, is there $200 difference between the HS Precision on the Police model and the BC on the LR model? I guess that's the main thing I'd like to know.

Just depends which style stock you prefer? I prefer the HS. The police model will also have a better coating on the metal parts...gun)

I prefer the stock on the LR over the P, but that's just my preference. I think the LR is a screaming deal. I've got a Timney for LR, but haven't had time to install it yet.

I bought one of the 700's in the long range in a .300 WM. Had to trash the barrel and get a new one. bigngreen and Broz said the barrel would make a fine tomato plant stake. Some barrels will be fine. Some not so good..... Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.